|A B C D F G H JK L M OP R S T V W Y|
Col. Robert Waide, one of the oldest attorneys of Southeast Missouri, was born in Augusta County, Va., on June 16, 1821. He is a son of John and Elizabeth (Beard) Waide, both of whom were natives of Virginia, and of English and German descent, respectively. They were the parents of ten children, five of whom are living. Robert was reared on his father's farm in Virginia until he was twenty years of age, after which he taught school. In 1847 he began the study of law, and two years later immigrated west, locating at Charleston, Mississippi Co., Mo., where he taught school for a short time. In 1852 he was admitted to the bar, and has since been in constant practice. He has been a notary public for sixteen years, and has held the office of county attorney for two terms. In 1866 he was elected to represent Mississippi County in the Legislature, and was re-elected in 1868. Mr. Waide was married first in 1855 to Catherine Minne Firebaugh. She died in 1856, leaving one child, Catherine Elizabeth. He was married again in 1862: his second wife being Mrs. Mary A. Gerdon, by whom he has two children living, viz: Hampton and Robert P. His wife died in 1886. In politics Mr. Waide is a Republican.
Joseph F. Watkins
Joseph F. Watkins, a prominent farmer and stock dealer of Scott County, was born in Stoddard County, Mo., on February 6, 1849. He is a son of Joseph and Louisa (Northcutt) Watkins. The former was born in Benton County, Tenn., and was killed in Cape Girardeau County by a horse throwing him against a tree, in January 1849. About two years after his death his widow and children removed to Scott County, and settled near Dieblstadt, where she was married to Samuel Hennon, a native of Missouri. She was a member of the Baptist Church, and died in February 1855. She had four children by her first husband and two by the last, viz: Thomas (deceased), Sarah (deceased), Benjamin (deceased), and Joseph Watkins, Marcella H. Hennon (Mrs. Cury Nathons) and a daughter who died when one year old. Joseph F. lived with his uncle until he was twenty-two years of age. The uncle, Francis Kirkpatrick, was a native of Tennessee, but removed to Scott County at an early day. When twenty-four years of age he wedded Paralee Holms, born on February 29, 1854, in Benton County, Tenn. She came with her parents to Mississippi County when she was four or five years of age. She died on October 18, 1876, having borne two children, Benjamin and Ida May, both deceased. Mr. Watkins was afterward married to Laura Holmes, also a native of Benton County, Tenn., born October 11, 1858. She was married on January 10, 1878, having removed to Mississippi County in November 1877. They have four children: Effie F., Elbert (deceased), Mary A. and Clara. Our subject and wife are highly respected citizens. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the A.F. & A.M.
Benjamin C. White
Benjamin C. White, a farmer of James Bayou Township, Mississippi County, Mo., was born in the State of Mississippi in 1840 and is a son of Wiley and Pernina (Clibourne) White, of English and French descent, respectively. They were both born in Charleston, S.C. and were married in their native State, from which they removed to Mississippi in 1833, living in the latter State until their deaths. Mr. White died on March 14, 1850, and Mrs. White in February, 1845. Their children were William (deceased), Martha Ann (deceased), Louis W. (farming in Pikens County, Ala.), Louisa J. (deceased), Benjamin C. and Pernina Ellen (wife of S.W. Nunn, a farmer of James Bayou Township, Mississippi County). Benjamin C. lived with an elder brother until he was sixteen years of age, when he came to Mississippi County, Mo. He stopped near his present home, but being without capital, he rented land, and worked out by the mouth until he had accumulated enough to buy him a home, which was in 1871. He then purchased 131 acres of the farm which now consists of 263 acres, with 215 under cultivation. In 1860 he was united in marriage with Mrs. Sophronia Arnold, born in Hickman County, Ky., in 1839. She is the daughter of David H. Kelley, who came to Southeast Missouri, in 1843, and located in Mississippi County. Mrs. White was first married to James Arnold, by whom she had one son, Martin Arnold. Mr. Arnold died in1858. To Mr. and Mrs. White have been born six children: Pernina Ellen (deceased), Georgia Ann (Mrs. R.S. Fleming, of Indiana), Mary J., Benjamin Co., Jr. (who is now attending school in Clinton, Ky.), Minnie Dixon and Thomas Lee. Mr. White has given each of his children a good education. He is also rearing a niece, whose parents are dead. He name is Eliza Kelley. Mr. White is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge of Charleston.
James W. Whitsell
James W. Whitsell, a competent blacksmith and wagon-maker, of East Prairie, Mississippi County, was born in Kentucky, in 1855, and is a son of James P. and Sarah Ann (Thompkins) Whitsell, both of whom were born in Hopkins County, Ky. Their grandparents came from Georgia in a very early day and located in Webster County, Ky. James P. Whitsell was reared as a farmer, in which occupation he was afterward extensively engaged; later in life, however, he was engaged in blacksmithing. His first wife died in1860, leaving two children, John J. and James W. Mr. Whitsell afterward married Virginia Crineham, who was born and reared in Kentucky. To this union were born D. Edgar, J. Cloud and William, all of whom are living. J.J. Cloud resides with the subject of this sketch. James P. Bradley [Whitsell] died in 1875 or 1876 and his widow is now living in Kentucky. James W. learned his trade under the direction of his father, in Hopkins County, Ky., and in 1879 he worked with an uncle in Kentucky. In 1880 he came to Mississippi County and located at Bertrand, removing to his present location in the summer of 1887, at which place he has a good home, and a lucrative business. In 1887 he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy A. Diviney. She was born in Tennessee and came to Bertrand with her parents in 1874 aor 1875. Two children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Whitsell: James C. and Nora W. Mrs. Whitsell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A.O.U.W.
George W. Wilson
Dr. George W.Wilson, a physician of Wolf Island township, Mississippi County, was born in Richmond, Ind., in 1839, and is a son of William D. and Mary (McMinn) Wilson, natives of Virginia and Delaware, respectively. William D.Wilson removed his family to Indiana, in 1826 and established a foundry and machine manufactory, one of the first in that section of the county. He remained in Richmond until 1858, when he removed to Greencastle, Ind., and resumed the manufacturing business. He was a very prominent many in his day, taking an active part in politics and other matters, being a strong prohibitionist, and was a great temperance worker. He did in Greencastle, at the age of seventy-tree years, and his widow is still residing there, with one of her sons, John t. Wilson, who is now in the manufacturing business. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were the parents of eight children, four of whom are living: John T. David L., Emma (Mrs. Harvey Fleming, of California), and Dr. George W. Those deceased are Virginia, Eliza, William and Elizabeth. Dr. George W. graduated from the high school of Richmond, Ind., in 1857 or 1858, after which he entered college at Oberlin, Ohio, and was only in the junior class when the war broke out. He left school, and went to Terre Haute, Ind., and enlisted in the Forty-third Indiana Regiment, and served for two years as hospital steward, and then as assistant-surgeon for a longer time. He enlisted in August, 1861, and was mustered out in St. Louis, in November, 1865. On returning home he entered a medical college at Cincinnati, graduating in 1867. He also attended a college at Philadelphia. After securing his professional education, he returned and remained there, engaged in the drug business, and the practice of his profession, until 1878, when he came to Southeast Missouri, and located in Mississippi County, where he has since resided, with the exception of two years in Florida. In 1869 Dr. Wilson married Mary Peck, daughter of Charles and Ursula Peck, both of whom were born and reared in New York. The Doctor is a member of the A.F. & A.M., and of the Knights Templar. He and wife have four children: Charles D., Douglas, McMinn and Amy L.
USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
Return to Mississippi County
This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site