|A B C D F G H JK L M OP R S T V W Y|
Frances M. Daley
Mrs. Frances M. Daley was born in Mississippi County, Mo., in 1849, and is a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Holman) Hall, natives of Union County, Ky. They were reared and married in their native county, and in 1843 came to Southeast Missouri, and located in Mississippi County, where they afterward resided. Mr. Hall died on November 15, 1868, and Mrs. Hall February 8, 1872. He was a Mason. The last named was first married to Albert Caldwell, by whom she had four children: Julia A., of Texas; Maria, of Tennessee; Amanda, of Mississippi County, Mo., and Jane, deceased, aged thirty-eight years. To Mr. and Mrs. Hall's marriage were born six children: Elizabeth (deceased), Frances M., William G., benjamin C. (deceased) and two (twins) that died in infancy. Frances M. remained with her parents until her marriage on July 23, 1867 with Andrew Ramsey. Three children were born to their marriage: William A., born on November 15, 1868: Minnie, born on October 19, 1872, and an infant, deceased. Mr. Ramsey died on March 10, 1872. The subject of this sketch afterward married Marshal Daley, who was born in Virginia, but removed with his parents to Kentucky when a child. When fifteen years of age, he came to Southeast Missouri, which was afterward his home. He was a member of the Baptist church, and of the Masonic order. He died, respected by all who knew him, on June 4, 1877. He had two children by his first wife, and one by his last wife, Marshal, born on February 4, 1877. Some time after Mr. Daley's death his widow married, May 20, 1881, M.M. Word. One child was born of this union, Richard, born February 13, 1882. Mr. Daley's first wife was Martha Ramsey, a sister of Mrs. Daley's first husband. Martha died on December 14, 1872, having borne three children, one of whom is living, Francis, of Columbus, Ky. Those deceased are Cornelia Ann (Hall), who died at the age of twenty-six years, and Martin L., who died in childhood. Mrs. Daley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She and her family own 400 acres of good land with 365 under cultivation, of which 240 acres are cultivated by her and her children.
Thomas J. Dalton
Thomas J. Dalton was born in Mississippi County, Mo., on May 6, 1843. His is a son of John and Louisiana (Mathews) Dalton. The former was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1809 He was a farmer, and removed to Mississippi County, and located on the farm now owned by Frank M. Howlett, adjoining Thomas J. Dalton's farm. The most of his life was spent on that farm, and he died there in 1850. The mother was born on October 7, 1812, on "Mathews' Prairie", Mississippi Co., Mo. She was a daughter of Edward Mathews, who settled on Mathews' Prairie about 1803. Two years later, in 1805, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Smith. He received a concession of 640 acres of land, embracing the present side of Charleston. This land was nearly all timbered, and wild animals of every description were plentiful. His was the only settlement in that region, with the exception of a few Indians, with whom he had to deal for a few years. He erected a little log cabin with the usual puncheon floor and clapboard door and roof, in which he lived for several years, but by industry and economy, he had at the time of the death a comfortable home and was a good circumstances. His death occurred on August 16, 1832. His wife died on February 2, 1831. They were the parents of six children, all of whom are dead: Charles, Louisiana, Jackson, Edward, Caleb and Patsy. Edward Mathews was a very prominent man in his day. The mother of our subject, Louisiana, died in 1873. She and her husband were the parents of six children, one of whom survives, Thomas J. The ones deceased are James H. William S., John, Elizabeth and Enos. Thomas J. was born and reared within a few hundred yards of where he now lives. He remained with his step-father until he was twenty-two years of age, when he was united in marriage in 1866 with Laura J. Grigsby, and settled on the F.M. Howlett farm, on which he resided for several years. In 1872 he purchased the farm where he now resides. His wife died in January 1869, leaving two children: Laura (living) and Lieuro (deceased). On November 4, 1860, he wedded Mary J., a daughter of Ezekiel and Kitty A. (Mason) Chapman, both of whom are dead. Mr. and Mrs. Dalton have had six children: Edward N., Guy R., Thomas O., Walter, Elbert and an infant. The last three are deceased. Mr. Dalton is a Mason and a member of the I.O.O.F. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
L.W. Danforth was born in Henderson, Ky., on June 10, 1837, and is a son of Leander F. and Jane W. (Jones) Danforth, the former a native of Long Island, N.Y., and the latter of Virginia. The Danforth ancestors came from England. The grandfather was born in the Eastern States, and immigrated to Warrick County, Ind., where he died. Leander F. was reared in his native State but removed with his parents to Indiana at an early day. He removed from thence to Kentucky, where he was married. He was engaged in the marble business at Henderson, Ky., and was a prominent citizen. Remaining there until 1859, he removed to Missouri, and located on a farm in Mississippi County, where he resided until his death in 1876. His widow is still living. They were the parents of seven children, viz: L.W., A.H., L.V., Eliza, C.W., R.C. and Mollie. L.W. Danforth was reared in his native town, and received a liberal education in the common schools. He was connected with his father in the marble business until the latter came West. In 1862 our subject removed to Mississippi County, Mo., and was engaged in the mercantile business at Charleston, in partnership with his brother, A.H. Danforth, until 1885, since which time he has been alone in business. In 1882 he was elected to the General Assembly, and re-elected in 1884. He has held the offices of collector of the county, deputy sheriff and coroner, and has served in the city council several terms. He has been school director for nine or ten years, and regent of the Southeast Missouri Normal at Cape Girardeau for twelve years. In 1860 he wedded Mary J. Yates, of St. Louis, by whom he has seven children living, viz: Nettie B., George W. (a student in the Naval School at Annapolis, since 1883, and formerly a page in the House of Representatives, at Jefferson City), Gracie D., Augusta N., Henry A. (a page in the House of Representatives, at Washington), Emma and Florence. Mrs. Danforth is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Danforth owns quite a number of residences and store buildings in Charleston, and is one of the prominent citizens of the town, and of Southeast Missouri. He is a Mason, a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council. In politics he is a Democrat.
A.H. Danforth was born in Henderson County, Ky., on September 12, 1842, and is a son of L.F. and Jane W. (Jones) Danforth [see sketch of L.W. Danforth]. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native State and his education, which was begun there, was finished at Notre Dame College, Indiana, he having attended that institution during 1863 and 1864, taking a classical course. He had, however, removed with his parents to Mississippi County, Mo., when he was eighteen years of age, and after finishing his education entered into the mercantile business at Bertrand. Remaining there eighteen months he removed to Charleston, and began merchandising in partnership with his brother, L.W. Danforth, continuing until 1885, when they were burned out the whole block being consumed in flames. Mr. Danforth has since rebuilt the block with large brick buildings, but since his loss by fire, has turned his attention to the grain business, and has a large warehouse on the Iron Mountain Railroad. He is also president of the Charleston Bank, which was established in November, 1887. In 1869 he was united in marriage with Rebecca H. Lyon, a native of Kentucky. They have had five children, three of whom died in infancy. Those living are William H. and Albert L. Mr. Danforth is a prominent citizen of Charleston, and has held several of the city offices. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, United Workmen, K. of P., and of the St. Louis Commandery. He was Master of the Masonic lodge of Charleston for a number of years. Politically he is a Democrat.
Robert N. Davis
Robert N. Davis, an intelligent and enterprising farmer of Mississippi County is a son of Tandy J. and Susan (Froman) Davis, of Welsh descent. Mr. Davis' forefathers immigrated to America from Wales, and one of his great grandfathers was killed in the wilderness of Virginia, by the Indians. Thomas Davis, the grandfather, was one of the pioneer settlers of Lincoln County, Ky., and fought against the Indians with Daniel Boone. He reared a family of eight children, and after they were grown, he removed to Hardin County, Ky., where he died. The maternal grandfather, Isaac Froman, was born in Bullitt County, Ky., in which he lived and died. He raised twelve children - seven daughters and five sons. Tandy J. Davis was born in Lincoln County, Ky., March 22, 1789 and was reared to farm life. He enlisted in the War of 1812, but was not received on account of disability. His wife was born in Bullitt County on August 31, 1812. In March 1846, he had a flat-boat built at his wood-yard, and launched it on Salt River, and brought his family, stock and goods down the Ohio River to Cairo, where he sold his boat, after unloading on the Missouri side of the river. He had, in 1845, purchased 160 acres of government land in Mississippi County, to which he brought his family; however, he lived with William Goodin, until his first crop was laid by, when he built him a little log cabin. He then commenced clearing the dense forest on his land, which required many years of hard labor to accomplish, but at the time of his death, his farm of 440 acres was nearly all under cultivation. He died in September 1869, from the effects of a fall, and his wife died in 1855, of consumption. They had twelve children, two of whom are living: Elizabeth (Mrs. Lewis Martin) and Robert N. Those dead are Thomas F., Jane, John C., Eliza, Eugene, Tandy, Naoma, and three infants. Four children died of wounds received, one of meningitis, and two of pneumonia. Both parents were members of the Baptist Church. Robert N. was born in Bullitt County, Ky., May 3, 1845, and was therefore about one year old, when his parents removed to Mississippi County. He remained with them until their deaths, when he bought the homestead, upon which he resided until 1881, when he removed to his present farm of 240 acres, having built his residence in 1880. In 1871 he married Melissa Slack, who died in 1882, having borne him five children, two of whom are living, Laura and Frederick. Those dead are Arminta V., Arthur and Luvella. In 1884 Mr. Davis married Eunice Goldena English, a daughter of Robert S. and Mary (Eggen) English. They have had one child, deceased. Mr. Davis is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Davis is a Presbyterian.
John T. Davis
John T. Davis, farmer and stock raiser of Mississippi County, Mo., was born in 1852, on the ridge where he has since lived, and is the son of Caleb and Sarah E. (Utley) Davis, both of whom were born and reared in Hopkins County, Ky., coming to Southeast Missouri soon after their marriage, about 1840. They located in Wolf Island Township, Mississippi County, where Mr. Davis died in 1855. Mrs. Davis lived until January 1887. All the children born to them died while young, except the subject of the sketch. After Mr. Davis' death, Mrs. Davis married J.L. Summers, a native of Bullitt County, Ky., who died about 1885. To this union was born Susan, now the wife of George Calhoun, who resides near John T. Davis. The last named was married on February 20, 1876 to Sarah E. Barnhill, a native of Kentucky, who came to Southeast Missouri when young with her parents, James H. and Lovinia (Redden) Barnhill both deceased. Mr. Davis cultivates about eighty acres of his farm, consisting of 160 acres, and also deals largely in buying and selling stock. To him and wife were born three children: William, Clinton and LeRoy. William was born June 11, 1879 and died December 30, 1879. Mrs. Davis has one brother and one sister living: B.F. Barnhill (of Arkansas) and Mollie (Mrs. Charles Virgin, of Mississippi County). She also has four half-sisters: Rosa (Mrs. Charles C. Calhoun), Alice (Mrs. James Adams), Lizzie and Lucy Barnhill , of whom the last two reside with Mr. and Mrs. Davis.
John T. Dawson
John T. Dawson, miller, blacksmith and wagon-maker, on the Mississippi River, seven miles below Belmont, Mississippi Co., Mo., was born in Bullitt County, Ky., November 7, 1848 and is a son of Thomas Dawson, a native of Kentucky. Thomas Dawson was a farmer, and married Elizabeth Cook, also a native of Kentucky, of Irish descent. To them were born eleven children, eight of whom are living, viz: George W., Leander, Charles C., Sylvester, Benjamin H., John T., Melcenia and Alice. Mr. Dawson died in 1865, aged fifty-five years. John T. left his parents' home when he was sixteen years of age. In beginning his life work, he learned his trade by serving an apprenticeship under Samuel Romines, of German descent. In 1880 he came to Southeast Missouri, and located where he now resides. He has a good home, which is nicely situated, a wagon and blacksmith shop, and a mill for grinding corn. He manufactures the Dawson wagon, well known throughout Southeast Missouri, and deals in agricultural implements, steel and iron. In fact everything to be found in a hardware establishment is in the house of Mr. Dawson; iron and steel nails, bolts, pipes, pumps, hubs, spokes, felloes, etc., besides other things too numerous to mention. He is also agent for the Cairo Pump Company. Anyone in need of even the smallest article in this line can be accommodated in this store, and thus saved much annoyance, which follows purchasing away from home. In 1875 he was united in marriage with Rebecca Munfort, who was also born and reared in Bullitt County, Ky. Four children have blessed their union: Sophronia, Shirley, William B. and John W.
Robert W. Duncan
Robert W. Duncan, a prosperous young citizen of Bertrand, Mississippi County, was born in Pike county, Mo., in 1856. He is a son of Robert W., Sr., and Elizabeth Duncan, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. The former is the son of Thomas Duncan, a native of Scotland, who came to America when about eighteen years of age and settled in Pennsylvania. He was married there to a German lady, and reared a family. Robert W., Sr., removed to Kentucky, about 1846, where he resided until 1852, when he went with an ox team to California. Remaining there about one year, he returned to Kentucky and in 1854 or 1855 came to Missouri, and settled in Pike County, in which he now resides, aged seventy-five years. His wife died in 1870, having borne him eleven children: Mary Ann (deceased), Sarah (deceased), Margaret (deceased), Thomas (deceased), Susan, Lizzie B., Robert W., Emeline, John W., Benjamin and William (deceased). The subject of this sketch came to Southeast Missouri in 1884 and located in Bertrand. He is now engaged in blacksmithing, milling and farming. In 1878 he was united in marriage with Lovinia Tabor, who was born in St. Francois County, Mo., in 1856. She is the daughter of John and Sarah Tabor, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. They are both dead, and were the parents of ten children: John (who died in infancy), Margaret (deceased), Lizzie, Lovinia, Angeline, Ella, Fannie, John, William H. and Emma (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Duncan are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They have three children: Maude, John W. and Elsie. Mr. Duncan is a member of the I.O.O.F., Lodge No. 114, and the A.O.U.W. Lodge No. 144. Politically he is a Republican.
Col. H.J. Deal, one of the pioneers and prominent citizens of Mississippi County, was born in Oxford, Adams Co., Penn., December 1, 1829, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Smyser)Deal, both of whom were of German descent, and natives of York county, Penn. The grandparents came from Buchelbaugh, Germany, and settled in York County, Penn., in the days of William Penn. There they lived and died. The grandfather, Daniel Deal was born in York County, Penn., as was also Jacob Smyser. Peter Deal was raised to the tanner's trade in his native county, in which he was married, after which he removed to Oxford, Adams County, where he lived until his death in May 1887, aged eighty-seven years. His widow is still living at the age of eighty-six years. They were the parents of eleven children, who grew to maturity, and three that died in infancy: Martin, Israel, Jeremiah, Henry J., Andrew, Edwin, Charles, Sarah (wife of Emanuel Hull), Louisa (wife of Amos Louck), Anna M. (wife of David Peters) and Elvira (wife of Henry Snell), all of whom are living except Israel, who was a minister under Lincoln, to Batavia. He married Mrs. Anna Randall, the great elocutionist. The subject of this sketch was reared to the tanner's trade, which he learned under the direction of his father, remaining with him until he was nineteen years of age, when he (in 1849) came west. Stopping at Farmington, Iowa, he was employed as clerk in a grocery store about six months, when he went to St. Louis, where he worked at his trade about two years, as foreman for Mayor John Howe, for whom he also worked during 1853 and 1854 at Paducah, Ky., where he met his wife, whom he married March 4, 1854. She is the daughter of Hardin B. and Mary R. (Locke) Walters. In 1856 they removed to Charleston, which they have since made their home. He had purchased land at the land sale in 1854 in Mississippi County. He came to Charleston as a levee and ditch contractor, but in 1857 he took the contract for building the Cairo & Fulton, now the iron Mountain Railroad, which was the fourth contract let for building railroads west of the Mississippi River, viz: Hannibal, St. Joe, Missouri Pacific and Iron Mountain. He had completed twenty-seven miles of the road, and had trains running upon it, when the war broke out, and he was elected from his district to fill the vacancy of Hon. R.A. Hatcher, who, with the Governor of the State, seceded and went south. He served in this capacity one year, after which (in 1862) he was elected to the Senate from this district, and served until 1868, after which he represented Mississippi County in the Legislature for two terms. In 1862 he was appointed, by the Governor, colonel of the enrolled Militia of seven counties, viz: Scott, Mississippi, New Madrid, Pemiscot, Dunklin, Stoddard and Bollinger. He served in that capacity until the close of the war. In 1866 he took the contract for building fifty miles of the St. Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad, which he completed in 1867. In 1867 he finished the old contract on the Cairo & Fulton Railroad to Poplar bluff. In 1881 he took the contract for building 110 miles of the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad, which he completed in 1882. The last few years he has turned his attention entirely to farming and stock raising, in which he has been quite successful. He has now in cultivation sixty acres of osier willow, used for basket making, from which the first basket was made February 4, 1888, and two hundred acres of catalpa trees, for posts. He has under cultivation about 2,500 acres of good land, which he mostly rents, and also has about 10,000 acres of land in forest. He was brought up in the Lutheran faith, and joined that church in1847. Mrs. Deal is a member of the Baptist Church, and he is now also a member of the same church. They are the parents of six sons, two of whom are living. They were born as follows: Edwin P. in 1859, and John D. in 1870. The latter is now at the State University at Columbia. Col. Deal's life has been one of considerable note, and many incidents and anecdotes of his early life are often related by him, which to the growing generation are amusing, as well as startling. He has done as much as any one man in the way of improvements, both privately and publicly, and his liberality to public affairs is well known. He has been a valuable citizen of Mississippi County. Col. Deal has made several county roads, using his won means to pay the expense, receiving from the county as part pay some swamp lands. He has also made several canals through this section of Missouri, and a great many ditches have been put through under his supervision. May he live long as one of Mississippi County's most honored citizens.
Edwin P. Deal
Edwin P. Deal, of the firm of H.J. Deal & Son, dealers in fine stock and real estate, was born in Charleston, Mo., on April 19, 1859. He is a son of H.J. and Melvina (Walters) Deal [see sketch]. Edwin P. was reared in his native city, receiving a good education in the common schools. In 1874 he entered the Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, remaining one year. In 1876 he received the appointment of cadet midshipman of the Naval School at Annapolis, which position he held about three years, when his eyesight began of fail him, and he came home on sick-leave, after which he resigned. Since 1880 he has been engaged in farming, and has dealt extensively in the fine stock and real estate. He owns now about 1,800 acres of good land. In September, 1879 he was united in marriage with Mary Crenshaw, a daughter of Joseph and Martha (Bridwell) Crenshaw. Three children have been born to them: Henry, Nellie and Alma. Mr. Deal has held the office of city councilman for two years. He is an energetic, active young man, possessing such qualities as predict for him a successful future. Politically he is a Democrat.
Edwin J. Deal
Edwin J. Deal was born in Adams County, Penn., January 24, 1863. He one of nine children born to the marriage of Jeremiah Diehl and Isabel Albright the former a native of Adams County, and the latter of York County, Penn. Both parents are of German descent, but their ancestors immigrated to Pennsylvania at an early day. The parents are still residing on a beautiful farm in Adams County, Penn., about two miles west from Gettysburg. Their children are Worthington (deceased), William A., M.S., (a resident of Charleston, Mo.), Ida (Mrs. James Ross), Anna M., Edwin J., May S. (Mrs. Frank Blocher), Laura and Amber. Edwin J. remained on the old homestead until he reached his twenty-first year, and received his education at Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg. In March, 1884, he went to Charleston, Mo., and read law under Joseph J. Russell, and soon after entered the law department of the Missouri State University, graduating from that institution in 1886. He was admitted to the bar the same year, and has since practiced his profession at Charleston, and is now, in connection with his practice, preparing an abstract of land titles of Mississippi County. In July 1886 he was appointed city attorney to fill the vacancy of Harry J. Cantwell, and was re-appointed in March 1887. He was appointed notary public by the Governor in February, 1887. Mr. Deal is a bright energetic young man, and is well suited to the duties of his profession.
John P. Dever
John P. Dever was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., January 9, 1833, and is a son of Amos and Mary (Dillender) Dever, of Franch descent. The grandfather Dever was a Kentuckian, and the maternal grandparents were old Virginians. Amos Dever was a farmer by vocation, and lived and died in Lincoln County, Tenn.; however, he was born in Kentucky, in which State he remained until after his marriage. He and wife were the parents of seven children: Nathan, Joseph, Elijah, Henry, Mary, Abijah and John L. The last named was reared on a farm in his native State, and partially learned his trade there. His father died when he was but seven years of age, and at the age of seventeen years he went to Adams County, Ill., where he worked on a farm for four years, after which he went to Hopkins County, Ky., and remained several years, engaged in various occupations, working on a farm, at his trade and saw-milling. In 1876 he removed to Batesville, Ark., in which place he was engaged in blacksmithing and wagon work until April 1884, when he came to Charleston. Since removing to the latter city he has been engaged in blacksmithing and wagon manufacturing under the firm name of J.P. Dever & Sons. The two sons who are his partners are John L. and Linn M. In 1887 Mr. Dever erected a planing mill, which he has since successfully conducted. In 1857 he wedded Charlotte W. Parent, a native of Kentucky, by whom he had nine children, three of whom are living: John L., Linn M. and May E. This wife died in 1875, and in 1876 he married Louisa Wright, a native of Arkansas. One child has been born to this union, Roy L. Mrs. Dever is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Mason.
USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
Return to Mississippi County
This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site