|A B C D F G H JK L M OP R S T V W Y|
Joseph H. Jenkinson
Joseph H. Jenkinson, deceased, was born in Worcestershire, England, January 23, 1835 and saw the son of Samuel and Catherine Jenkinson, both of whom were natives of England. Joseph grew to manhood in Worcestershire and on March 10, 1863, was married to Elizabeth Law, who was born in 1839 and is a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Law, natives of Shropshire, England, now deceased. Mrs. Jenkinson was young when her parents died, and she afterward resided, until her marriage, with her half-sister in Stafordshire. Mr. Jenkinson was a cabinet-maker, and followed his trade as long as he remained in his native country. On July 31, 1863, he with his family set sail for America landing at New York City on the 10th of August of the same year. On account of Mrs. Jenkinson's illness they remained in that city two weeks, when they went by rail to Chicago, when they were again detained two weeks for the same reason. From that city they went to Cairo, Ill., where they remained three years. Mr. Jenkinson being engaged in carpentering. He then went to Whistler, near Mobile, Ala., where he was employed in the car shops, finishing passenger cars for about five years. In the fall of 1869 he came to Southeast Missouri and located on East Prairie, in Mississippi County, where he improved the farm upon which his family now resides. They have a good farm, upon which is a fine residence. Mr. Jenkinson was a very active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, to which his family also belong. He died September 7, 1884. To Mr. and Mrs. Jenkinson were born six children: Agnes L. (deceased), Katie L., Harry L., and three who died in infancy.
Frank A. Jordan
Frank A. Jordan, an enterprising farmer and stock raiser of Wolf Island Township, Mississippi County, was born in Hickman County, Ky., in 1839. His parents, William S. and Julia A. (Caldwell) Jordan, were born and reared in Woodford County, Ky. His maternal great-grandparents were born and reared in Ireland. His grandfather, George Jordan, came to America from England several years before the Revolutionary War, in which he afterward participated. He had a brother on the other side, who was with Cornwallis' army at the time of its surrender. After the war George Jordan located in Culpeper County, Va., having married in that State. About 1791 he removed with his family to Woodford County, Ky. He and wife had three boys and two girls: Thomas G., John J., William S., Martha and Rachel. William S. was married in his native county in 1826, and after residing there two years longer removed to Hickman County, which was afterward his home. However, he died in Anderson County at the age of seventy-six years. He served as high sheriff of Hickman County for four years, and as judge of the court for sixteen years. He was also one of the county commissioners, and a very prominent Royal Arch Mason. His children are George A., Thomas G., William H., John V., Frank A., Eugene B., Edwin, Ophelia C., Mary R. (Mrs. John C. Gray), Martha A., Leonora A. (Mrs. James W. Farris of Pemiscot County, Mo.) and Virginia E. Frank A. came to Southeast Missouri in 1859 to live with his sister, Mrs. Gray, who had come here in 1856. He has since made Mississippi County his home. On April 15, 1861, he enlisted in the army, joining a Kentucky regiment, but was discharged in November of that year, when he enlisted in the Enrolled Missouri Militia and served one year under Capt. Prichett. After the war he resumed work on the farm, and was married in 1865 to Ann B. Cooley, who was born in Mississippi County, Mo. in 1844. She died in 1877, leaving three children, Frank C., Florence A. and Thomas Q. Mr. Jordan afterward married Nannie R. Young, born on Wolf Island, Ky. She came with her parents, Rev. William K. and Rebecca Young to Southeast Missouri, when about six weeks old. The family returned to Kentucky in 1854, and remained until 1861, when they came back to Southeast Missouri, where Rev. Young died, April 18, 1863, being the father of but one child - Nannie R. Mrs. Young, however, had been married twice previously. She died in Marion County, Mo., on April 20, 1875, whither she had moved in April 1865. Mr. Jordan has two children by his last wife: Eugenia T. and Ophelia E. In 1880 Mr. Jordan was elected judge of Mississippi County Court, and held the office four years. He served as deputy sheriff two years and has been justice of the peace since 1874.
George W. Kenrick
George W. Kenrick, a prominent citizen of Southeast Missouri and an enterprising mechant of Charleston, was born in County Wexford, Ireland, on June 17, 1818. He is one of two children born to the union of William Kenrick and Fannie White, both of whom were natives of the "Emerald Isle". The former was a merchant and farmer in Enniscourthy, Ireland, which business he followed during his life. His first wife (the mother of George W. and Kate) died several years previous to his death, and he had several children by a second marriage. George W. was reared in his native country and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1842 he was united in marriage with Emily Walker, and in the summer of that year took passage at Liverpool for America. After several weeks of ocean voyage he and wife landed at New York, and went from there to Alleghany County, Penn., where he worked at his trade a few months, then engaged in farming, which he continued about two years. He then went to Cincinnati, where he remained a short time and removed to St. Louis, remaining there about one year. In 1844 he removed to what is now Bird's Point, Mississippi Co., Mo., where he resided about one year and went to Pittsburgh, Penn. Soon after he bought a trading boat and engaged in merchandising on the Ohio River, going down the Mississippi below Memphis. He made two trips which took him as many years, after which he located his boat at Cairo, Ill., and was engaged in merchandising along the river three years longer. He then returned to Bird's Point, where he engaged in merchandising and hotel keeping. He also served as postmaster. In1862 he removed to Charleston, where he has since been in the merchandise business. He has served as postmaster of Charleston, justice of the peace, lieutenant of State militia, city alderman and mayor of the city several terms. He owns the Kenrick Hotel, which was erected in 1877, and which is one of the finest and most commodious in Southeast Missouri. He also owns five brick business buildings and ten frame buildings in Charleston. No man has done more than Mr. Kenrick to build up the city of Charleston, with the interest of which city he has been identified for a number of years. His first wife died in 1850, having reared two children, one of whom (William) is living. In 1851 Mr. Kenrick married Mary Rodney, by whom he has had five children, four of whom are living, viz: George, Albert, Emma and Annie. Besides Mr. Kenrick's property in Charleston, he owns $8,000 worth in Cairo, Ill., also four large farms. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the I.O.O.F. His son George is the manager of the store at Charleston, and is an intelligent young man of good business qualifications. From 1847 to 1851 Mr. Kenrick was in the merchandise business at Cairo. He owns about $2,500 worth of real estate in Scott County, Mo.
USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
Return to Mississippi County
This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site