|A B C D F G H JK L M OP R S T V W Y|
Rev. Henry Hainesworth, presiding elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was born in Hull, England, November 18, 1847. He is the youngest of six children born to the union of Henry Hainesworth and Anna Tomlinson, both of whom were natives of England. The father was a wholesale and retail merchant, which business he followed until his death in 1861. The mother died in 1872. Four of their children are living: Anna, Richmond, Thomas and Rev. Henry. The last was reared at his father's home, and was engaged in the mercantile business until he was twenty- three years of age. The early part of his education was received at the Army-Naval Academy, of Portsmouth, England, and was completed at the grammar school of Dudley, England. When twenty-three years of age he began to study for the ministry, and was licensed to preach the gospel at Newbury, England. In June, 1871, he took passage at Liverpool, on the steamer "Moravian" and landed at Norfolk, Va., after a fourteen-day's voyage. He then proceeded to Nashville, Tenn., where he remained about two months, administering the gospel, after which he was sent by the Bishop to Fayetteville, Tenn., where he joined the Tennessee Conference, and was transferred to St. James, Mo. He was ordained at Charleston, in November 1872, since which time he has been preaching the gospel in Southeast Missouri. He has been presiding elder for eleven years. In the fall of 1885 he removed to Charleston, where he has since resided, presiding over the Charleston District. He was married in August 1873, to Mary J. Scott, a daughter of Hon. J.T. Scott. His wife died in 1883, having borne him five children, of whom three are living: Anna M., Harry R. and Mary L. He was again married on March 30, 1886, choosing for his second wife, Bula E. Staats, a native of Mobile Ala.
Jacob Hainley, a prominent farmer and highly respected citizen of Mississippi County, was born on January 2, 1822, in Logan County, Ky. He is a son of Jacob and Bethia (Jenkins) Hainley, both of German descent, and natives of North Carolina. The paternal great-grandfather, Jacob Hainley, was a farmer in North Carolina, where he died. The grandfather, Jacob Hainley, was a farmer by vocation. He also died in the Old North State. Jacob Hainley, the father, immigrated from his native State to Tennessee, thence to Calloway County, Ky., he with his family, removed in wagons to Missouri. He started with the intention of going to the Ozark Mountains, but settled on the edge of Mathews' Prairie, where he entered forty acres of land, and purchased forty acres. On this he built a log cabin, with puncheon floor and clapboard roof and door, in which cabin they lived for several years. He afterward made a good home for himself and family, where he resided until his death in 1842. His wife died in 1863. They had eleven children, of whom three are living: George (now in his eighty-fourth year, and a resident of Kentucky), Jeannette and Jacob. Those dead are Thomas, Henderson, Amberline, Ellen, Elizabeth, Eliza and two that died in infancy. Jacob was sixteen years old when he came with his parents to Mississippi County, and he remained with his father, helping to improve the farm, until the death of the latter, when he purchased a farm, upon which he resided until 1859. He then bought the farm on which he now lives, and has since built his large dwelling, and made all the other improvements. He now owns 900 acres of good land, which is well improved. In 1865 he was united in marriage with Polly A. Clark, a native of Missouri, and daughter of Nathaniel and Marselle (Pennington) Clark. Mr. and Mrs. Hainley have had seven children; Jacob and Charles are the only ones living. The ones deceased are Masieth, Bettie, Orrie, George and Willie. Mrs. Hainley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Hainley is a member of the I.O.O.F. Politically he is a Democrat, but he has never sought or held a political office. He has preferred the life of an independent farmer, in which he has been very successful. Nathaniel Clark (deceased), Mrs. Hainley's father, was born in Christian County, Ky., on May 4, 1804, being a son of Jonathan and Jane (Rogers) Clark, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter of Scotland. They immigrated to America just before the Revolutionary War, and settled in North Carolina, where they remained a few years. Mr. Clark being a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He died in 1850, in Christian County, Ky., whither he had immigrated several years previous. Nathaniel was married in that county, and had five children - four sons and one daughter: Alonzo, Franklin, Jonathan, Phine (deceased) and Polly A. Alonzo and Franklin both died in the Confederate army. Mr. and Mrs. Clark landed in Mississippi County on March 12, 1832, and located in the southern part of Tywappity Township, where he entered about 400 acres of government land. He died in 1839. Mrs. Clark died on July 29, 1866. She was a consistent member of the Baptist Church.
Alfred L. Hall
Alfred L. Hall was born in Virginia in 1841, and is the youngest of eight children born to Andrew and Permelia Hall, natives of Tennessee and Virginia respectively. Andrew Hall went to Virginia in his youthful days, and was afterward married there. After the birth of all his children he, with his family removed to Illinois, the subject of this sketch being then but two years of age. They located in Massac County, which was the parents' home until their deaths. Alfred L. is the only surviving member of the family. He came to Scott County Mo., where he resided until 1864, when he removed to Mississippi County and located on his present farm in James Bayou Township. In1865 he married Harriet Waters, a native of Scott County, Mo. She died in 1870, leaving three children: Hannibal C., Calvin M. and Alfred W. (twins). She was also a mother of one child that died in infancy. Mr. Hall afterward married Sarah Burgess, who was born in Pike County, Ohio, and is the daughter of Nathaniel and Mary Burgess, natives of Virginia, who went to Ohio with their respective parents when young. They were married in Ohio, and became the parents of four children, Mrs. Hall being the only one living. Mr. and Mrs. Hall enjoyed the comforts of a good home, and have six children: Alice, Elmer, John W., Nancy S., Ella E., Della F. and Guy I. Mr. Hall manifests considerable interest in educational matters, and has served as president of the school board for fifteen years. Mrs. Hall is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
James W. Harper
James W. Harper, a successful farmer of Mississippi County, Mo., was born in Caldwell County, Ky., in 1852 and is a son of Henry H. and Cynthia A. (Castleburry) Harper, both of whom were born and reared in Kentucky. They were married in their native State and about 1860 removed to Southeast Missouri, and located in Mississippi County, on the farm upon which the subject of this sketch now lives (in St. James Township). The father died there in 1874 and his widow is now living with her son, James W. She is sixty-eight years of age, and enjoys fair health. She is the eldest of the family of twelve children, viz: Martha C. (Hunter), James and Washington (twins), Noah, William (deceased), Nathan, Althea, John, Perneesa, Benjamin and Mary. To Henry H. and Cynthia A. Harper ware born twelve children: Hellen L. (Mrs. W.M. Wilson, of Kentucky), Althea E. (Mrs. P. Bishop, of Point Pleasant, Mo.), Martha J. (deceased), William W. (deceased), Mildred Ann (deceased), Louisa K. (deceased), James W., Cynthia S. (deceased), John D. (deceased), Mary P. (Mrs. Marshall Clark), and two that died in infancy. James W. engaged in farming for himself on his present place in 1874. His farm consisted of 295 acres with about 100 acres under cultivation with good improvements.
William L. Harper
William L. Harper, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Mississippi County, Mo., was born in Henry County, Tenn., in 1853 and is a son of Robert and Nancy (Smith) Harper, both natives of Middle Tennessee. The former was born in 1805 and is of English descent, his ancestors having settled first in the United Stated near Harper's Ferry, Va. Some of the family emigrated from thence to Middle Tennessee. In 1851 Robert Harper removed, with his family to Western Tennessee, where he was engaged in farming until 1873 when he removed to Mississippi County, Mo., and settled on the place where the subject of this sketch now lives. Both parents died at their home in 1881. The mother was born in 1812. They were universally respected, and were the parents of thirteen children, three of whom died in infancy. James Harper was taken prisoner at the battle of Atlanta, and died soon after, leaving a wife and two children: John H. and James B., both residents of Benton County, Tenn. Robert Harper was killed in Tennessee during the Rebellion and was buried in his father's orchard in Benton County. He also left a wife and two children: Maria F. (Mrs. Samuel Walters) John B., Josiah, Thomas J., David H., William L. and Green H. William L. Lived with his parents until their deaths, when he purchased the home farm of the heirs. In 1888 he sold that farm and purchased 800 acres of good land one mile north of Bertrand; with about 350 acres under cultivation, upon which is a good residence called Wood Lawn. Mr. Harper married Fannie Ostner, daughter of Ferdinand and Elizabeth ( Espinasse) Ostner, natives of Germany and France, respectively. Mrs. Ostner is the daughter of a French army officer, and niece of Gen. Espinasse, who feel at Sebastopol, in October 1854. Mr. Ostner removed to St. Louis in 1850 and in 1868 or 1869 to Scott County, Mo., where he owns about 2,000 acres of land and is now extensively engaged in farming and stock raising. He and wife are the parents of four children: Fannie (Mrs. Harper), Katie (Mrs. Welch), Clara (Mrs. Daniel) and Max. Mr. and Mrs. Harper have two children: Robert Ferdinand and Eunice Blanch.
William M. Harris
William M. Harris, of the firm of W.M. & A.C. Harris, farmers and dealers in stock, was born in Mississippi County, Mo., February 8, 1845. He is a son of Alfred E. and Barbara (Martin) Harris, of whom the former was a native of Charleston, S.C. He immigrated to Daviess County, Ky., at an early day, and remained until 1835, when in November of that year he, with his family, immigrated to Mississippi County, Mo., coming down the Ohio River in a flat-boat. Unloading his goods at Bird's Point, he went to Long Prairie, and made a settlement on what is now known as the Sherman farm. He purchased 600 acres of unimproved land, the most of which was heavy timbered, consequently it required several years of hard labor to make his start in life. Neighbors were scarce, and the wild animals were frequent callers at his cabin door. He made that his home till 1855, when he purchased and located upon 600 acres of land near Greenfield's landing. Remaining there until 1860, he purchased and removed to the farm upon which the Harris brothers now reside. He remained there until his death in 1866. His widow still survives, in her seventy-fifth years, and makes her home with her sons W.M. and A.C. She and husband were the parents of ten children, six of whom are living: Mary Edens, Martha V. (Mrs. William Rodney), Phoebe C. (Mrs. Frederick Duvall), Richard B., William M. and Alvin C. The two gentlemen last named have never married. They are indeed wide-awake and successful business men, and own one of the finest farms in Southeast Missouri. They have 2,000 acres of fine land, mostly used for corn, wheat and watermelons. It is all, with the exception of 160 acres under cultivation; 800 acres are in one tract, of which 660 are sown in wheat this season. They are extensive dealers in stock of all kinds, handling annually between $40,000 and $50,000 worth, and feed from 200 to 300 head of cattle each year. They also keep a great many hogs. In 1885 they had 600 acres of watermelons under cultivation, and each year they pay considerable attention to raising melons, having about 200 acres for that purpose. They ship an average of 150 car- loads annually. Their homestead is beautifully situated about a mile northwest of Charleston.
John T. Heggie
John T. Heggie was born in Caswell County, N.C., September 24, 1837, and is a son of Archibald and Nancy (Love) Heggie. The paternal great-grandparents came from Scotland and settled in Virginia, and removed from thence to North Carolina. The grandfather, James Heggie, was a tailor by trade, which he followed during his life. The maternal great-grandparents came from Ireland, and located in North Carolina. The grandfather, John Love, was born about 1792, and was a farmer by vocation. He die din 1840. The maternal grandmother, Love, was a relative of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Archibald Heggie was born on April 23, 1811, in Person County N.C. and was reared on a farm. Along with the rising generation of those early times, he received but a limited education. In 1846 he removed his family to Benton County, Tenn., and a journey which required five weeks and three days was made in wagons. After arriving there, he purchased a farm, upon which he resided until 1874, when he immigrated to Mississippi County, Mo., whither his son, John T. had previously removed. He located near Bertrand, where he resided until his death on December 25, 1887. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his widow, who is still living, is also a member of that church. She was born in Caswell County, N.C., on October 19, 1820. They were the parents of three children: John T., Martha A. (now the wife of Robert W. Ayers, of Benton County, Tenn) and James (who died in 1836). John T. being but nine years of age when his parents removed to Benton County, Tnn., his education was secured there. He remained with his father on the farm until he was twenty-three years of age, when he was united in marriage (on May 31, 1860) with Mary T. Rushing, a daughter of Richard and Mahala (Ashcroft) Rushing, both natives of Tennessee, now deceased. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, joining Capt. R.W. Ayers' Company, and was assigned to post duty at Danville, Tenn., guarding a railroad bridge. After remaining there some time he was ordered to Henderson Station, Tenn., to guard the railroad, where they remained until after the battle of Corinth, when their command was cut off, and they received orders to mount themselves and go to Tullahoma, when they were again put on guard for a short time, when the company reorganized, and Mr. Heggie was elected second lieutenant. He was taken prisoner at Lindon, Tenn., and sent to Alton, Ill., where he was held one month and exchanged after which he was sent east, but arriving at Pittsburgh, he was ordered to Johnston's Island, where he was held prisoner until February 20, 1865, when he was sent on exchange, and joined his old command at Marion, Ala., but before thirty days the army had surrendered. In 1866 he rented a farm in Henderson County, Tenn. and raised one crop, when he removed to Haywood County. From there he removed to Benton County, and remained until 1873, when he immigrated to Mississippi County, Mo. He purchased 240 acres of land, which he cultivated until 1879, when he sold it and purchased property in Bertrand, in which town he built a grist-mill and cotton gin, which he managed for several years. He was also railroad agent in Bertrand for seven years, and was meanwhile engaged in the mercantile business. He moved to his present home in Charleston in December1886. He still owns considerable property in and around Bertrand. On November 7, 1886, he was elected clerk of Mississippi County, receiving the greatest number of votes of any candidate for any office. He and wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a Mason and a member of the A.O. U.W. Mr. and Mrs. Heggie are the Parents of twelve children, viz: Susan L., Mattie E., Richard A., Robert E.L., Lillian M., Fannie M., Mary E., John P., Bessie F., Eula B., Arthur W. (deceased) and an infant (deceased).
Ferdinand J. Hess
Ferdinand J. Hess, an enterprising farmer and stock raiser, located on Black Bayou, Mississippi Co., Mo. Was born in Gibson County, Tenn, and is a son of Nelson I. and Catherine H. (Hill) Hess, natives of Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively [see sketch of Dr. J.H. Hess]. The subject of this sketch was reared at the home of his parents, and after the death of his father, much of the care of the family devolved upon him. He received a good education at Andrew College, which is a Methodist Episcopal school at Trenton, Tenn. In 1875 he came to Southeast Missouri and located in Wolf Island Township. He purchased his land on Black Bayou in 1885, and he is adding every year to its many improvements. His farm consists of 900 acres of the best land on the bayou, with 400 acres under cultivation. He raises an average of 8,000 bushels of grain annually, which he ships to different markets. He also deals largely in stock, and always has on his farm a great many head of cattle, mules, and such other animals necessary to run the farm. He is a judge of the county court, representing the Second District of Mississippi County. In politics he is a Democrat.
John L. Howlett
John L. Howlett, a prominent farmer of Mississippi County, was born in Bullitt County, Ky., on October 26, 1836, and is the son of Luke and Eliza (Lee) Howlett, of Scotch-Irish descent and natives of Virginia and Kentucky, respectively. The grandfather, John Howlett, was also born in Virginia, and was in the War of 1812, participating in the battle of New Orleans under Gen. Jackson. He emigrated from his native State to Kentucky at an early period. Luke Howlett was an infant when he went with his parents to Bullitt County, Ky. He was there reared to farm life, and remained until hid death in 1883. His widow is still living in Kentucky, at the age of seventy-three years. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are living: John L., William, Franklin, Miles, Bettie, Alice and Selenia. Those deceased are Drusilla and Aura. John L. remained in his native county until he was twenty-two years of age, when he came to Missouri. He came on a steamer from Louisville to Price's Landing, walking from the latter place to Charleston. In 1858 he bought 120 acres of land, upon which he has since resided. The land was timbered and required the labor of several years to get it under cultivation. He has since purchased more land, and now has 760 acres, with 500 under cultivation, with good improvements. In 1859 he was united in marriage with Elizabeth, a daughter of William T. Lee. She died on March 2, 1885, leaving three children: Sterling P., Luke and John L., Jr. Mr. Howlett is a Mason. He has served as constable two terms and as deputy one term. He was second lieutenant of Col. Deal's militia. On February 22, 1887, he wedded Rilda, a daughter of Thomas Lee. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Charles J. Hubbard
Charles J. Hubbard, an influential stock dealer, merchant and farmer of East Prairie, Mississippi Co., Mo., was bon in New Madrid County, 1851, and is a son of William B. Hubbard, a native of Kentucky, who came to Southeast Missouri when about sixteen years of age, and married Malinda J. Barnes, a native of Southeast Missouri. Mr. Hubbard located in New Madrid County, near the mouth of James Bayou, where he and wife are still living, engaged in farming in which business he has been very successful. To them were born six children: George W., Charles J., Martha B. (wife of Isaac De Leon, who lives on the home place), John S., Robert N. (deceased) and C. Thomas (deceased). Charles J. remained at his father's home, and assisted on the farm until he was twenty- four years of age, when he removed to East Prairie, and commenced farming. He has now a good farm of 320 acres with about 200 under cultivation. He owns several buildings in East Prairie, including a good hotel. He handles annually about 35,000 or 40,000 bushels of corn, 1,000 head of hogs and 500 head of cattle. He has been twice married, the first time to Eudora Fugate who was born and reared in Southeast Missouri, and was a daughter of Bird Fugate. To this union were born four children: Paulina, Arluna, Bird and Jesse. The mother of these children died in August 6, 1886. Mr. Hubbard married the second time Mrs. Mattie Long, a native of Kentucky. She has two children by her first marriage: Minnie and Lena. Mr. Hubbard is one of Mississippi County's enterprising citizens, in the progress of which he takes great interest.
Benjamin Huff, sheriff of Mississippi County, was born in that county on August 19, 1843, and is a son of William D. Huff, a native of Breckenridge County, Ky. The latter is a son of Benjamin Huff, who came from Germany to Breckenridge County, Ky., at a very early day, and was a settler with Daniel Boone, with whom he used to hunt. He was the first sheriff of Breckenridge County, and was among the first to represent the county in the Legislature. He was in the Indian War, and was captured at one time on the Ohio River, at the mouth of Salt River by red men. They put him on a raft and tied him with a buckskin thong, but he loosened it, pushed one of the guards off into the river, and shot the other. He owned considerable land which he had taken up from the government. The paternal grandmother was a sister of Ben. Hardin, who built Hardinsburg Fort, a German settlement. William D. Huff was reared to farm life in his native State, in which he married Elizabeth Walls, also a native of Breckenridge County, Ky. In 1843 he went down the Ohio River on a flat-boat, which he had built for that purpose, to Bird's Point, Mississippi County, Mo. From thence he went to what is known as Mathews' Prairie. During the big flood in the spring of 1844, he removed to Fish Lake, and bought a pre-emption, with about ten or twelve acres improved, from a Mr. Bill George. Here he made a home and resided until his death in December 1860. His wife is also dead. They had four children, two of whom are living: Benjamin and Elizabeth, widow of Edwin Quinn. The subject of this sketch remained with his father until the latter's death. About this time, troops were called, and in Jun 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, joining Company A, Fortieth Tennessee, provisional army. He participated in the battles of Corinth, Coffeeville and the siege of Island No. 10, of which he saw the surrender. He was taken prisoner by Gen. Grant and sent to Camp Douglas, Chicago, where he was kept six months, when he was exchanged and assigned to the Eighth Kentucky Regiment. Being captured again at Coffeeville in November 1862, he was taken to Oxford, Miss., where he was imprisoned two weeks, when he was paroled. Returning home he engaged in farming, which has since continued. He has been a resident of Charleston since December 8, 1884. On January 1, 1863, he was united in marriage with Martha Hargan, a native of Hardin County, Ky., by whom he has one child, Martha B., who married James T. Brown, September 22, 1878. They have three children: Benjamin, Effie Maud and Thomas, all of whom live at Huff's Landing, Mississippi County. Mr. and Mrs. Huff are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the I.O.O.F. In 1884 he was elected sheriff and collector, and was re-elected sheriff in 1886. He is public-spirited, and is one of the prominent men of Mississippi County.
William H. Humphreys
William W. Humphreys, a prominent farmer of Mississippi County, was born on December 10, 1837, two miles northeast of Charleston. He is a son of Washington and Ann M. (Russell) Humphreys, both of English descent, and natives of Maryland. The family came west in 1836, in company with the Russell and Moore families, making the journey to Wheeling, Va., in wagons, and from thence by water to West Philadelphia, now called Price's Landing. Mr. Humphreys was a shoe-maker by vocation, and died two years after his arrival in Southeast Missouri. Mrs. Humphreys was married in 1840 to W.B. Bush, who removed to Southeast Missouri 1813, and was one of Mississippi County's most prominent men, having served as judge of the court for a number of years. He died on July 23, 1859. His widow lived until July 7, 1885. There were two children born to the first marriage: James W. (who was born in 1836, and died in August, 1845) and William W. The children by the second marriage are Paleman C., John L. (killed by a train in 1869), Richard B. (died August 23, 1865), James L., Joseph R., Galena A. (died In 1873), Mary E. (died September 22, 1862) and Price L. William W. Humphreys lived at his mother's home until he was twenty-one years of age, taking charge of the farm after the death of his father. When twenty-two years of age he was married to Emma Noyes, a native of Mississippi County. Her parents were natives of New Hampshire, and immigrated to Louisville, Ky., in 1818 and in 1831 to Southeast Missouri, removing to Mississippi County in 1840. Her father died in 1845 and his widow was married to Francis Kirkpatrick in1853. She died in October 5, 1875 and was the mother of four children, all of whom are dead. After his marriage Mr. Humphreys located in Long Prairie Township, where he has since resided, engaged in farming, with the exception of seven months in 1871. He sold out and removed to Newton County, but did not like the country, so returned to his native county, and settled where he now resides. He has taken a prominent part in politics, in which he is a Democrat. In 1882 he aspired for the judgeship of the county, but was defeated on account of the negro vote going solidly for his opponent. He was a member of the Democratic central committee for six years. His wife died on February 22, 1877, having borne him seven children, viz: Walter (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), Mary G. (deceased), William M. (deceased), Julia, Flora, and John M. (deceased). On June 2, 1877, Mr. Humphreys was married to Harriet Robinson. Six children have been born to this union: Emma F., Albert H., Minnie L., Gertrude, Cora M. and James A. Mr. Humphreys has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty-three years. His wife is also a member. He is a Mason. He joined the I.O.G.T. in May 1855, and he declares that he has never violated the obligation taken at that time. He has also been a member of the A.O.U.W. but surrendered his policy because he was not able to support his family and keep assessments paid up. Mr. Humphreys has followed teaching school and other vocations, such as railroad agent, shipping agent, clerking in dry-goods stores, weighing corn, etc. He is hale and harty and enjoys the esteem and confidence of a large circle of friends and acquaintances, and seems to be good for many years of active life. His average wight is about 185 pounds.
Charles F. Hurst
Charles F. Hurst, foreman of Bird's Mill, Mississippi County, Mo., was born in the Kingdom of Saxony, Germany, in November 1842. His father, John Hurst, is also a native of Germany, who immigrated to America in1854 and located in Knoxville, Tenn. His mother died soon after reaching America, in 1854. John Hurst engaged in farming as his chief vocation while in his native land, but also worked at the milling business some. He was also a mechanic. He still resides in Knoxville, but has retired from business. He and wife had six children, all of whom were born in Germany. Four of them are living: Charles F., Jane, Minnie and Augusta. Charles F., being about twelve years of age when his parents removed to America, had received a fair education in Germany. He remained with his father until 1861, when he enlisted in the Confederate army, joining the Third Missouri Cavalry, under Gen. Price at Springfield, Mo. He participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Big Black River, and other minor engagements, being captured by Grant's army at the last named place. He was taken to Camp Morton prison, thence to Fort Delaware, and afterward to Point Lookout. After being held as a prisoner for ten months, he was paroled, after which he went to St. Louis, where he engaged in steam boating on the Mississippi River for three years, making St. Louis his home. January 1, 1868, he located in Mississippi County, where he has since resided. He now owns about 500 acres of land with 200 acres under cultivation. In 1869 he wedded Anna Wells, a native of Tennessee. They have five sons: John C., Charles J., William A., Harry L. and Arthur B. Mr. Hurst is a Mason. He has been in Stephen Bird's employ for twenty years, as foreman of both grist mill and saw and planing mills. He is a notary public, and is serving his second term as justice of the peace.
USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
Return to Mississippi County
This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site