Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Mississippi County, 1888


David Baker

David   Baker,    one    of
     Mississippi County's prominent men and successful citizens,  was  born
     in Charlotte, N.C., but was mostly reared in Lincoln County,  of  that
     State. He was born on May 24, 1829 and is a son of  Jacob  and  Elmira
     (Pelt) Baker, both of whom were also natives of  North  Carolina.  The
     great-grandfather Baker  came  from  England,  and  settled  in  North
     Carolina. Both great-grandparents, on the  mother's  side,  came  from
     Ireland, and they also settled in that State. The grandparents on both
     sides lived and died in the "Old North State". Jacob Baker was  reared
     to farm life, and when  young,  immigrated  to  Rome,  Ga.,  where  he
     remained about three years,  and  removed  to  Carroll  County,  Tenn.
     Residing there until 1854, he immigrated, with his family  Mississippi
     County, Mo., making the  journey,  which  required  several  weeks  in
     wagons, by the way  of  Nashville.  He  stopped  at  Wolf  Island  and
     remained about one year, when he  removed  to  within  four  miles  of
     Charleston, were he purchased a farm  in  the  woods,  upon  which  he
     resided until his death on October 1, 1886. His  wife  died  in  1879,
     having borne  twelve  children,  seven  of  whom  are  living:  David,
     Abraham, Margaret (Mrs. James Sheppard), Caroline (Mrs.  A.  Coleman),
     Josephine (Mrs. Wade Shelby), Frank and William. Those  deceased  are:
     Rachel, George, John, Mary and Larcissa. David remained on  the  farm,
     with his parents, until he was  married,  on  November  20,  1851,  to
     Margaret, a daughter of  John  and  Sarah  (Ancell)  Davis,  who  were
     natives of North Carolina. After his marriage,  Mr.  Baker  began  for
     himself, and made three crops in Tennessee, when he removed  with  his
     father's family to Mississippi County, Mo. He remained for three years
     at Wolf Island when he removed to the Concord settlement, where he had
     purchased eighty  acres  of  heavily  timbered  land,  which  required
     several years of  industry  and  economy  to  clear  and  prepare  for
     cultivation. At that time he hauled his produce  to  Price's  Landing.
     Since 1879 he has been a resident of  Charleston,  in  which  he  owns
     several town lots and a nice residence. He now has 800 acres of  land,
     of which 600 are under a fine state of cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Baker
     have had three  children,  one  of  whom  is  living  (Mrs.  Dr.  A.A.
     bondurant). Those deceased are George S. and an infant. Mrs. Baker  is
     a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Baker is a Royal  Arch
     Mason. He has never held office, except that of  public  administrator
     and city councilman.

Frank Baker

Frank Baker was born in North
     Carolina, October 2, 1844, and is a son of Jacob and Hannah E.  (Pelt)
     Baker,  who  were  also  natives  of  North  Carolina.  The   paternal
     grandfather was born in South Carolina. Jacob Baker was a  farmer  and
     removed from his native State to Tennessee, and from thence, in  1856,
     to Mississippi County, Mo., making the entire journey  in  wagons.  He
     located in the timber, in the Concord settlement, where he  erected  a
     rude log cabin with puncheon floor, and clapboard roof and  doors,  in
     which he and his family lived for several  years.  He  worked,  for  a
     while, almost night and day, to get some land cleared, that  he  might
     raise a crop. He improved his land and made  a  good  home,  where  he
     lived until his death in 1886. His wife  died  two  years  previously.
     They had twelve children: Rachel  (deceased),  David,  John,  Abraham,
     Margaret (Mrs. James W. Sheppard), Mary (deceased), George (deceased),
     Caroline (Mrs. A.D. Coleman), Frank, William, Narcissus (deceased) and
     Josephine (Mrs. Wade Shelby). They also reared two children  of  their
     daughter's: Thomas and Lucinda (Mrs. George McGhee). Frank  Baker  was
     about eight years of age when his parents brought him  to  Mississippi
     County. He remained on the farm with his father until he was  married,
     in 1870, to Mary Elizabeth Small, a  daughter  of  Napoleon  and  Mary
     Small. Soon after, he located on a farm in the Concord settlement, and
     in 1875 moved to the farm on which he now resides, having made all the
     improvements on the place. He and wife have two children: John G.  and
     Iva May. Mrs. Baker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He
     is   a   member   of   the   I.O.O.F.,   and   in   politics   is    a

Thomas Beckwith

Thomas Beckwith was  born  in
     Mississippi County, Mo., on  January  24,  1840.  His  father,  Quiros
     Beckwith, was a native of Fairfax Court House, Va., and was the son of
     Newman Beckwith, who was also born in the "Old Dominion", and remained
     there until the year of 1812, when he immigrated to Missouri. He  came
     all the way from Wheeling, Va., in a  flatboat,  bringing  his  family
     with him. He settled at Norfolk, Mississippi County, where he remained
     three years, and removed to what is known as the O'Brien  farm,  where
     he resided until his death. While a resident of Virginia he  possessed
     considerable wealth, but lost it by going  security.  Quiros  Beckwith
     was but eleven years  of  age,  when  he  came  with  his  parents  to
     Mississippi County. He remained on his father's farm until he  reached
     manhood, when he was married to Susan  Johnston,  who  was  born  near
     Nashville, Tenn. After his marriage Mr. Beckwith  engaged  in  tilling
     the soil, which he continued the  most  of  his  life,  together  with
     dealing in live-stock. At the time of his death  he  owned  about  100
     slaves, some of whom he had bought at considerable cost. He turned his
     attention entirely to business interests, and took no part whatever in
     politics. He died in 1862. His wife died on August 17, 1849. They were
     the parents of five children, four of  whom  are  dead,  viz:  Quiors,
     Ellen W., Margaret A. and Matthew J. Thomas, the only living member of
     the family, was reared on his father's farm, which consisted of  about
     1,100 acres of land, besides a large wood-yard. He labored on the farm
     and about the wood-yard and saw-mill until he became of age.  In  1862
     the overflow of the Mississippi River  swept  away  one  of  the  best
     farms. In 1861 he enlisted in Price's  company,  which  was  organized
     under the old system. He served about three months, with the  rank  of
     third lieutenant,  when  he  was  taken  down  with  the  measles  and
     resigned. In February 1862, he was captured at Long Prairie,  and  was
     confined in prison about five months, during which  time  he  suffered
     many hardships, as the prison was dirty and filthy, and the chances of
     life were few, where the prisoners were confined  for  any  length  of
     time. After his release he returned home and resumed farming. On March
     11, 1863, he was united in marriage with Laura, daughter of  John  and
     Sallie (Lee) Swank, who immigrated to Mississippi County in 1854.  Mr.
     and Mrs. Beckwith have three daughters: Lillie M., Minnie L. and Ollie
     L. All the members of the family belong  to  the  Methodist  Episcopal
     Church South. Mr. Beckwith is one of the substantial men of  Southeast
     Missouri. He owns over 3,000 acres of land in his  own  title,  and  a
     half interest in 4,000 more. He deals some in stock, horses, etc. and,
     makes loans. He now has his farms rented, and spends his spare time in
     exploring the mounds left by the Mound Builders in Southeast Missouri,
     and has one, of finest collections  of  stones  and  pottery  in  this
     portion of the State.

James B. Bibb

Capt.  James  B.   Bibb,   a
     substantial farmer of Mississippi County, Mo.,  was  born  in  Hickman
     County, Tenn., March 19, 1842.  His  parents,  John  M.  and  Caroline
     (Johnston) Bibb, were  natives  of  Dixon  County,  Tenn.  The  family
     emigrated from Virginia to Tennessee in the early  settlement  of  the
     latter State. John M. Bibb was a farmer and miller. In  1852  he  came
     down the Ohio River on a flat-boat to Norfolk, and settled on what  is
     known as the Badger Mill place. He was employed as foreman of Felix G.
     Badger's saw-mill for a number of years. He  removed  to  Arkansas  in
     1859, but returned to Mississippi County, Mo., in 1872,  and  died  in
     Dixon County, Tenn., that fall. His  wife  died  in  Randolph  County,
     Ark., in 1862. They had seven children,  three  of  whom  are  living:
     Capt. James B., Robert S.  and  Sarah  I.  (Mrs.  Andrew  Miller),  of
     Arkansas. James B. was about ten years of age when his parents removed
     to Mississippi County, and he remained with them until 1861,  when  he
     enlisted in the Confederate army, joining Company A, Seventh  Arkansas
     Regiment, under Gen. Hardee, serving until the close of  the  war.  He
     participated  in   the   battles   of   Shiloh,   Pittsburg   Landing,
     Murfreesboro, Perryville,  and  various  skirmishes.  He  was  sightly
     wounded at both Resaca and Kenesaw Mountain,  by  gun  shots.  At  the
     close of the war he returned to his home in Arkansas, and  remained  a
     short time. In July 1865, he removed to Mississippi County,  and  kept
     the ferry at Greenfield's Landing, Mo., until 1879, being  captain  of
     the ferry. In 1872 he purchased the farm that he now owns, to which he
     removed in  1882.  The  farm  is  all  under  cultivation,  with  good
     improvements. In January 1873, he was married to Amanda M.  Haines,  a
     daughter of Minor B. and Rachel J. (Brooks) Haines, of Hickman County,
     Tenn. Mr. and Mrs. Bibb have two children: Callie A. and John  O.  Mr.
     and     Mrs.     Bibb     are     members     of     the     Christian

Thompson Bird

Thompson     Bird,     an
     enterprising pioneer citizen of Mississippi County, Mo., was  born  in
     that count December 26, 1828. He is a descendant of one of the  oldest
     and most prominent families of Southeast Missouri. His  parents,  John
     and Ingiebo (Byrd) Bird, were natives of Virginia and  Cape  Girardeau
     County, Mo., respectively, and were of  English  and  German  descent.
     Both of his grandparents were born in America, and both immigrated  to
     Cape Girardeau County. The paternal grandfather,  Abraham  Bird,  came
     from Virginia, and located in Cape Girardeau  County  about  1798.  By
     purchasing from  the  government  and  making  entries  in  both  Cape
     Girardeau County and near Bird's Point, he  came  into  possession  of
     large bodies of land. He removed  to  Bird's  Point  about  1805,  and
     erected a little log cabin, in  which  he  lived  for  several  years.
     Becoming disgusted with the country, on account of the overflow of the
     Mississippi River in 1814-15, he took a boat and went down  the  river
     to Baton Rouge, La., where he located, and remained until  his  death.
     His land became the  property  of  his  sons,  whom  he  had  left  in
     Southeast Missouri. The maternal grandfather, Abraham Byrd, came  from
     North Carolina, and stopped at Cairo a short time, went from thence to
     Cape Girardeau County, making one of  the  first  settlements  in  the
     region. He lived to be quite aged, and died in that county. John  Bird
     was Abraham Bird's youngest son. After  his  marriage  he  located  at
     Bird's Point, which he made his home until his death, on September 20,
     1868. Besides his land there he also had a large sugar plantation near
     Baton Rouge which he managed, making in all  about  3,000  acres.  His
     wife died in 1864. They were the parents of ten children, five of whom
     are living: Thompson, Stephen, Nancy, Clara and Andrew.  Thompson  has
     always lived on the old homestead, following the vocation of a farmer.
     He now owns about 1,000 acres of land, a large part of which is  under
     cultivation. He was first married in 1863, to Nancy Emory, who died in
     1865, leaving him one child,  Julia,  deceased.  In  1865  he  married
     Martha Emory,  by  whom  he  had  three  children:  Rachel,  Rosa  and
     Clarissa. His wife died on March 11, 1885, and in October of that year
     he married Lucy Powell.  Mrs.  Bird  is  a  member  of  the  Methodist
     Episcopal Church South. Mr. Bird is an intelligent man, and one of the
     successful      citizens      of       Mississippi       County.

Stephen Bird

Stephen Bird, one of the most
     prominent farmers and millers of Mississippi  County,  Mo.,  was  born
     near Baton Rouge, La., January 27, 1836. He  is  a  son  of  John  and
     Ingiebo (Byrd) Bird. [See sketch of Thompson  Bird.]  The  subject  of
     this sketch was quite young when he went  to  Mississippi  County,  of
     which he has since been a  resident,  and  is  now  one  of  its  most
     successful business men. He was reared at the  home  of  his  parents,
     remaining with them until their deaths. In  1865  he  engaged  in  the
     milling business, which he has continued, now operating both grist and
     saw mills. He manufactures lumber of all kinds, which he ships to  all
     parts of the world. His farming interests, also are great,  having  in
     his possession over 2,000 acres of land. In  1867  he  was  united  in
     marriage with Alice Hunter, by whom he had three children, one of whom
     is living, Abraham T. The second time he  married  Amanda  Hunter.  To
     this      union       one       child       has       been       born,

John A. Bird

John A. Bird, one of the most
     active and prosperous farmers of Mississippi County, Mo., was born  in
     that county on January 23, 1866, and is a  son  of  William  and  Lucy
     (Millar) Bird, both of whom were natives of Mississippi  County.  When
     the subject of this sketch was about six years old, his  father  died,
     and his mother was afterward married to Rev.  Powell,  who  died  soon
     after. John A. lived at Cairo, Ill., and at Charleston, Mo., until  he
     was about sixteen years of age, when he entered school  at  Caledonia,
     Mo., and remained  twenty  months.  He  then  returned  to  St.  James
     Township, Mississippi County, and lived with John  Millar  and  others
     until the spring of 1887. On September 28,  1887,  he  was  united  in
     marriage with Miss Iva E. Donnell, who  was  born  June  20,  1868  in
     Jefferson County, Mo., and is a daughter of Thomas L. and  Harriet  E.
     (Byrd) Donnell, both of whom were born and reared in Missouri.  Thomas
     L. Donnell was born on May 19, 1818, and is a son of William  Donnell,
     one of the old and respected settlers of Jefferson County Mo.,  having
     gone there from South Carolina when a young man. Harriet E.  Byrd  was
     born on June 7, 1833, and died on June 27, 1878. Thomas L. Donnell  is
     a wealthy and influential citizen of Jefferson County. To Mr.  Donnell
     and first wife, Mary (McCormick) Donnell, were born six children, four
     of whom are living: Sarah, Amandora, Ella and Florence.  He  had  four
     children by his second marriage: Mildred, Iva  E.,  Edna  and  Thomas.
     Mrs. Bird was also educated at the Collegiate Institute of  Caledonia.
     After his marriage Mr. Bird removed to his present farm consisting  of
     220 acres with about 200 acres under cultivation, upon which he has an
     elegant residence.

A.C. Bogard

A.C.  Bogard  was  born   on
     January 15, 1837, in Bullitt County, Ky., and is a son of Clifton  and
     Eliza (Webb) Bogard, both of whom were natives of Bullitt County, Ky.,
     and of German descent. Their ancestors emigrated from Germany  several
     generations  back.  The   paternal   grandfather,   Cornelius   Bogard
     immigrated to Bullitt County, Ky., passing  through  Louisville,  when
     there were but few houses in that city. Th maternal  grandfather  Webb
     was a Revolutionary soldier, and fought in the battle of New  Orleans.
     The grandparents on both sides died in  Bullitt  County,  Ky.  Clifton
     Bogard was also born and reared in that county and was a farmer. After
     his marriage he removed to Hardin County, Ky., where  he  purchased  a
     farm and remained until his death in May, 1884.  His  widow  is  still
     living on the old homestead. They had eleven children, seven  of  whom
     are living, viz: Lafayette, John C., Leroy, Alexander C., Cynthia  J.,
     Frances C. and Edna R. Those deceased are  Clinton,  Clinton,  Leuvisa
     and Loucretia. Alexander C. was about  four  years  of  age  when  his
     parents removed to Hardin County, in which he received  his  education
     in the common schools. He remained with his parents until his marriage
     with Mary Pearman, on September 17, 1857. She is a daughter of William
     C. and Sallie (Trent) Pearman, natives of Hardin County, Ky. After his
     marriage Mr. Bogard cultivated a farm in Hardin County  a  few  years,
     when he removed to Bullitt County and  resided  until  1870.  He  then
     removed to Mississippi County Mo., and  rented  land  for  two  years,
     after which he bought 400 acres, which is now well improved and  under
     cultivation. He has four acres in the city of Charleston,  upon  which
     he had his residence. Mr. and Mrs. Bogard have two  children:  William
     C. and Sarah E. (the wife of William H. Garwood) a native of Kentucky.
     In politics, Mr. Bogard is a Democrat. He and wife have  been  members
     of    the    Methodist    Episcopal    Church    for    over    thirty

A.A. Bondurant

Dr. A.A.  Bondurant,  one  of
     the most prominent physicians ans surgeons of Charleston, was born  in
     Fulton County, Ky., December 9, 1850. He is a son of John S. and Julia
     D. (Edmiston) Bondurant.  His  paternal  great-grandfather  came  from
     France and settled in Tennessee or Kentucky. His  grandfather,  Robert
     Bondurant, was a farmer, and a resident of Kentucky at the time of his
     death. John S. Bondurant is also a farmer, and still resides in Fulton
     County, Ky. He and wife are the parents of ten children, six  of  whom
     are living, viz: Alpheus A., Robert A., John C. Custis  B.,  Ella  and
     Susan A. Dr. Alpheus A. was reared on the old homestead  in  Kentucky,
     and attended the high school of Fulton until he was  twenty-one  years
     of age, when he began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr.
     C.W. Miles, of Jordan. In  1873  he  entered  the  Louisville  Medical
     University, and  afterward  attended  the  Bellevue  Hospital  Medical
     College of New York City, graduating from the  latter  institution  in
     1875. Soon after his graduation he went to Charleston, Mo.,  where  he
     has since resided and practiced his profession; meanwhile he has taken
     one term of lectures in the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. The Doctor
     is widely known as a skillful and practical physician and surgeon, and
     controls a large practice in and around Charleston. He is a member  of
     the Southeast Missouri and of the American  Medical  Associations.  In
     1875 he was united in marriage with  Mary  J.  Baker,  of  Charleston.
     Their union has been blessed by the birth of six children viz:  Levie,
     Eunice, Earl, Flint, Vela and a son, Afer, deceased. Dr. Bondurant  is
     a   Mason   and   a   member   of   Charleston   Blue    Lodge,    No.

Elijah F. Bradley

Elijah F. Bradley was born on
     July 24, 1842 and is a son  of  Jefferson  K.  Bradley,  a  native  of
     Kentucky, who was the only child of Elijah Bradley, also a  native  of
     Tennessee, in which State he remained until after his  marriage,  when
     he removed to Kentucky and remained until his death.  Elijah  was  the
     son of  George  P.  Bradley,  who  was  born  and  married  in  Middle
     Tennessee, where he reared a large family. Jefferson K. Bradley  first
     married Louisa Smith, a native of Kentucky. She was the mother of  the
     subject of this sketch. Her death occurred in 1843,  after  which  Mr.
     Bradley married Parlee Combs. Her death occurred in 1845, after  which
     Mr. Bradley married Mary Walton. To this union two children were born:
     James and Robert. Her death occurred in 1852, after which Mr.  Bradley
     married Rachel Brown of Kentucky. Subsequently he moved to  the  State
     of Arkansas. To this last union there was one child born - Amanda, who
     after the death of Mr. Bradley, on January  4,  1854,  went  with  her
     mother to Illinois, where they are supposed to be living  at  present.
     Elijah F. remained at home until he was fourteen years of age, when he
     entered the Argus (now Courier) office, at  Hickman,
     Ky., and served an apprenticeship at the printer's trade, after  which
     he went to live with his great-uncle,  Theophilus  Bradley.  He  lived
     with him as one of his family for three years, and assisted  with  the
     work on the farm. At the commencement of the war he  enlisted  in  the
     Confederate army, and served until the close, when he  went  to  South
     Arkansas,  where  he  spent  about  ten  years  raising   cotton.   He
     subsequently spent  four  years  in  Western  Texas,  after  which  he
     returned to Southeast Missouri, having attended school there in  1859.
     He located in St. James Township, Mississippi County, where  he  still
     resides. In 1864 he married Molly Cruce, a native of  Kentucky.  After
     his first wife's death, he married a Miss Mudding,  of  Missouri,  and
     after her death, Mr. Bradley married Correna  Cranford,  a  native  of
     North Carolina. Three children were born to this  union,  viz:  Louisa
     W., Henry A. and Georgia L. This wife  died,  and  June  4,  1884,  he
     married Mrs. Laura M. Hayden, who was born in Kentucky  in  1853,  and
     came to Southeast Missouri in 1871. By two previous marriages she  has
     five children, three by her first marriage with  Mr.  McClellan,  viz:
     Charles T., Robert J. and Ernest S.; by her second marriage, Rachel M.
     and Florence Hayden. Two children have  been  born  to  Mr.  and  Mrs.
     Bradley - Samuel W. and Walter E. (deceased). Mr. Bradley and wife are
     members of the Christian Church.

Nelson D. Brewer

Nelson D.  Brewer  (deceased)
     was born in Mississippi County, near Charleston, in 1839,  and  was  a
     son of Howell Brewer, who was born Jun  25,  1805,  in  Kentucky,  and
     removed to Southeast Missouri in 1830. He married Jane  West,  also  a
     native of Kentucky, born in 1803. After  their  removal  to  Missouri,
     they made that State their home, until  their  deaths.  They  had  six
     children, viz: Benjamin F., Rachel, Madelbert J., Nathan L., Nelson D.
     and Lucy A., all of whom are deceased. Nelson  D.  remained  with  his
     parents until he reached maturity, and his mother lived with  him,  on
     the place where his family now resides, when he was married  in  1863.
     He married Mary E. Vowels, a native of Kentucky, born in 1844. She  is
     a daughter of Henry and Eliza (Ice)  vowels,  who  came  to  Southeast
     Missouri in 1860, and settled near Bird's Point. The afterward removed
     to Rush's Ridge, and remained until their deaths. The mother  died  in
     1865, and the father in 1879. To them were born twelve children,  viz:
     Robert, Mary, Jane, George, Thomas, James, Nancy  William  (deceased),
     Alexander and three that died in infancy. Mr. Vowels had two  children
     by a second marriage - Lulu and Richard. All of his children reside in
     Mississippi County. Mr. and Mrs. Brewer's union has  been  blessed  by
     six children, viz: Robert F., Jennie (deceased at two years  of  age),
     Lorenzo P. (deceased at four years of  age),  James  H.  (deceased  at
     thirteen years of age), Thomas Benjamin and George D. The last two are
     attending school, and Robert F. is managing the home farm. Mr.  Brewer
     died February 16, 1872. His family lost a kind father and husband, and
     the community a  good  citizen.  He  was  a  faithful  member  of  the
     Methodist Episcopal Church South. His widow is also a member  of  that
     church. She and her boys reside on the farm, and enjoy the comforts of
     a good country home.

George H. Bridges

George   H.   Bridges,    a
     prominent farmer and stock raiser, residing at Charleston, was born in
     Mississippi County, on September 15, 1850 and is a son of James H. and
     Letitia (Simms) Bridges, of whom the former was born near  Louisville,
     Ky., and the latter in Indiana. James  H.  Bridges  was  a  farmer  by
     vocation, and removed to Mississippi County about 1830, and settled in
     Wolf Island Township, where he purchased a tract  of  land,  which  he
     cultivated until 1858. He then  removed  to  Charleston,  and  resided
     until his death. His wife is still living. They reared three children:
     James H. (deceased), George H. and Julia (wife of J.H. Bethune, of St.
     Louis). George H. remained on his father's farm until he  was  sixteen
     years of age, when he entered  Christian  Brothers'  Academy,  of  St.
     Louis, where he remained three years. In politics he  is  a  Democrat,
     and is at present secretary of the central committee.  He  has  filled
     various official positions. He held the position of deputy county  and
     circuit clerk for six years. In 1876 he was elected mayor of the  city
     of Charleston, which office he held three terms. He  also  filled  the
     position of the first clerk of the city. He has been a member  of  the
     city council for two terms, and in 1887 was elected assessor. In  1873
     he was united in marriage with Dora, daughter of Judge  James  R.  and
     Elizabeth Patterson, citizens  of  Charleston.  One  son,  James,  has
     blessed their union. Mr. and Mrs. Bridges are members of  the  Baptist
     Church.       He        is        a        member        of        the

Francis M. Brown

Francis M. Brown was born  in
     Philadelphia, December 25, 1811 and is a son of Francis  M.,  Sr.  and
     Ellen H. Brown. The former was  a  native  of  Philadelphia,  and  the
     latter was born near Cork, Ireland. He parents immigrating to America,
     settled in Philadelphia, where they both died when she was an  infant.
     She was reared by a Mr. Butcher, a  dealer  in  morocco  leather.  The
     granfather, Francis Brown, came from France, coming from the island of
     St. Domingo with Stephen Girard and Farncis  Mazaree.  He  settled  in
     Philadelphia,  where  he  resided  until  his  death.   The   paternal
     grandmother was of German  parentage,  and  after  the  death  of  her
     husband, she married another Frenchman. Francis M. Brown, Sr.,  was  a
     merachant in Philadelphia for several years. About  1811  he  went  to
     cincinnati, and was afterward occupied in running a  barge  from  that
     city to New Orleans, buying up bacon,  etc.  He  was  with  the  first
     steamer run from the mouth of the ohio River to St. Louis, under Capt.
     Henry M. Shreeves. In 1839 he visitied his  mother  in  Camden,  N.J.,
     where he died. He was the father of three children,  only  one  living
     Francis M. He remained in his native city until he reached  his  ninth
     year, when he went to New orleans  with  Capt.  Hardin  on  a  sailing
     vessel, "Ship Blaze". Remaining in the latter city about seven months,
     his father put him in a school at Natachez, where  he  remained  until
     1826, when he went to St. Louis with his father,  and  remained  there
     for some time, serving as clerk for  Collier  J.  Powell.  His  father
     afterward bound him out to Jacob Kepper, of Louisville, Ky., to  learn
     the pattern maker's trade. Remaining with him two years,  he  went  to
     Cincinnati and bound himself out to learn  the  iron-moulder's  trade.
     After serving an apprenticeship of four years, he worked at the  trade
     eighteen months at New Orleans. In 1832 he went to Mississippi County,
     Mo., and made a permanent settlement, his father having settled  there
     in 1826. The family's first house was a little log hut, rudely  built,
     in which they lived for several years. From 1850 to  1853  he  kept  a
     store and boarding-house in Charleston, after which he removed to  his
     present home. He now owns 700 acres of  land,  with  about  600  under
     cultivation. Mr. Brown is  one  of  the  oldest  living  residents  of
     Mississippi County, and has witnessed its  development  from  a  dense
     forest to its present wealthy state. He has been four  times  married;
     first, on January 1, 1835, to  Julia  Sweeten,  by  whom  he  had  six
     children, two of whom are living: E.L. and Mary E. (Mrs.  Jacob  Davy,
     of cincinnati). The second time he  married  Mary  Sheppard.  He  next
     married Eliza Smith and his last wife was  Emily  White,  daughter  of
     Thomas White, of Tennessee. Mr. Brown is a  member  of  the  Methodist
     Episcopal Church. Politically he is a Democrat and cast his first vote
     for Gen. Jackson

James M. Brown

Judge  James  M.  Brown,   a
     prominent citizen of  Mississippi  County,  was  born  in  Switzerland
     County, Ind., on August 10,  1834,  and  is  one  of  seven  surviving
     children of ten born to the union of James Brown  and  Deborah  Hatch.
     The paternal grandfather came from Ireland and  the  grandmother  from
     Scotland. They immigrated to Belmont County, Ohio, at an early day and
     remained there a few  years.  In  1820  they  removed  to  Switzerland
     County, Ind., where they died, the grandfather at the  age  of  sixty,
     and his wife at the age of eighty-five years. James Brown, the  father
     of our subject, was born in Ohio  in  1803  and  was  brought  by  his
     parents to Indiana, where he was reared to farm  life  in  Switzerland
     County, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a  successful
     farmer, and owned considerable property at  the  time  of  his  death,
     which occurred in 1876. His wife, who is a  native  of  New  York,  is
     still living on the homestead. She had three sons and  four  daughters
     living, viz: Cyrus A., Morrison  N.,  James  M.,  Margaret  (widow  of
     Joseph Rutherford, deceased), Mary (Mrs.  Boyles),  Jennie  and  Emma.
     Judge James M. was reared on his father's farm  and  received  a  good
     education in the common schools. In 1855 he went to  Charleston,  Mo.,
     and learned the mechanic's trade, which he followed about three years.
     In 1858 he was employed in the clerk's office, where he remained until
     1866, when he was elected assessor of Mississippi County, which office
     he held four  years.  Prior  to  his  election  as  assessor,  he  was
     commissioned by Andrew Johnson, as assistant United  States  assessor.
     In 1870 he was elected probate judge, which office he held for sixteen
     consecutive years, being president, ex-officio, of the county
     court eight years of this time. He was admitted to the  bar  in  1872,
     and is now engaged in the practice of  law,  and  is  a  real  estate,
     collecting and insurance agent. He is also a  notary  public.  He  has
     been successful in business, and now owns 1,000 acres of good land,  a
     part of which is  well  improved,  and  some  nice  city  property  in
     Charleston. In 1860 he  was  united  in  marriage  with  Laura  A.,  a
     daughter of  Maj.  William  and  Amy  Sayers,  who  early  moved  from
     Kentucky, to Mississippi County. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have two children,
     Anna L. and Henry Morton. Mrs. Brown is  a  member  of  the  Methodist
     Episcopal   Church   South.   Mr.    Brown    is    a    Royal    Arch

Morgan W. Bryant

Morgan W. Bryant was born  in
     Christian County, Ky., in 1827. His  parents,  Lawrence  and  Mary  J.
     (Morris) Bryant, were born in Virginia,  being  members  of  prominent
     families of that State. Lawrence Bryant served under Gens.  St.  Clair
     and Wayne, in the wars against the Indians in the Northwest Territory.
     He was married in his native State and removed his family to Christian
     County, Ky., about 1813,  soon  after  which  was  drafted  into  Gen.
     Jackson's army. He was born in 1779, and when a child was  bound  out,
     and volunteered in the United States army when sixteen years  of  age,
     to get out of bondage. His parents were of English and Irish  descent,
     his mother having been born and reared in Dublin. Mary J.  Morris  was
     the daughter of Leonard Morris,  who  dug  the  first  salt  wells  in
     Virginia. The grandmother Morris bought a  piece  of  land  ten  miles
     square, including these salt wells, and now includes Brownstown, for a
     rifle gun and a linen hunting shirt. Leonard Morris built Morris Fort,
     in Virginia, to protect himself and family from the  assaults  of  the
     Indians. To Lawrence Bryant and wife were born twelve children, two of
     whom are living: Morgan W. and Nancy S. (wife of Jacob  H.  Messamore,
     of Fort Worth, Tex.).  Those  dead  are  Sarah,  Margaret,  Elizabeth,
     Joshua, Crockett, Mary, Lawrence, Catherine, Martha  M.  and  William.
     Morgan W. remained with his parents until he was twenty-three years of
     age, when he went to Graves County, Ky., and was married  to  Mary  E.
     Jones, a native of that county. Remaining there until March, 1873,  he
     and family came to Southeast Missouri,  and  located  in  James  Bayou
     Township, Mississippi County, removing to his present  farm  in  1882.
     His farm consists of 495 acres, of which 275  are  under  cultivation,
     upon which he raises 10,000 bushels of grain annually. Mrs. Bryant  is
     the only child born to the union of Henry Jones  and  Emeline  Elliot,
     natives of Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively. The  father  died  in
     1839 or 1840, after which his widow was married to A. Sutton,  and  to
     them were born five children, three of  whom,  Richard,  Margaret  and
     Charles are living. Mrs. Sutton died in August,  1855.  Mr.  and  Mrs.
     Bryant have  the  following  children:  Henry  L.,  John  R.,  Joelah,
     Richard, Katie and Culin.

George A. Bryant

George   A.   Bryant,    an
     enterprising farmer  of  Mississippi  County,  was  born  in  Marshall
     County, Ala., April 14, 1846. He is a son of Thomas and Irene (Parker)
     Bryant, both of whom are of English descent and natives of  Tennessee.
     Their forefathers settled in Alabama. Jesse Bryant,  the  grandfather,
     lived and died in Tennessee. Thomas Bryant was married in  his  native
     State, after which he removed to Alabama, and remained a  short  time,
     when he removed to Kentucky. In 1851 he immigrated with his family  to
     Scott County, Mo., coming down the Ohio River to  Bird's  Point  in  a
     flat-boat. He remained in Scott  County  until  about  1854,  when  he
     removed to Mississippi County, and settled near Charleston,  where  he
     resided until his death in 1864. His  widow  died  about  three  weeks
     later. They had five children, only one of whom  survives,  George  A.
     Those dead are Frank M., Polly A., Almeta and Albert.  George  A.  was
     but an infant when his parents left Alabama, and about  six  years  of
     age when they immigrated to Missouri. He was reared  on  his  father's
     farm, and has been  a  resident  of  Mississippi  County  since  1854.
     Farming has been his  chief  vocation,  at  which  he  has  been  very
     successful. On August 22, 1875, he was united in  marriage  with  Mary
     Alice Smith, a daughter of Abner and Margaret (Cook) Smith, the latter
     of whom was brought to  America  from  Germany  when  an  infant,  her
     parents locating in Mississippi County. Mr. and Mrs.  Bryant  are  the
     parents of five children, born as follows: Andrew J., April  1,  1878,
     died February 3, 1881; Gertie, July 5, 1880; William J., February  27,
     1882; Albert F., April 4, 1884, and George R., January  8,  1887.  Mr.
     Bryant  is  a  member  of  the  I.O.O.F.   In   politics   he   is   a

George C. Burns

George C. Burns, a successful
     farmer of Mississippi County, Mo., was born in  St.  Lawrence  County,
     N.Y., November 15, 1845. He is a son of Owen  and  Catherine  (Cowley)
     Burns, both natives of County Galway, Ireland. They were  married  and
     had one child, who is now deceased, born in their native  country.  In
     1820 they immigrated to America and settled in  St.  Lawrence  county,
     N.Y. Mr. Burns purchased a farm and resided there until 1848, when  he
     removed to Waukesha County, Wis., where he purchased 160 acres of land
     for $400, which is now worth $100 per acre. He died in 1850,  and  his
     wife died in 1881. They  reared  nine  children,  seven  of  whom  are
     living,  viz:  Margaret  M.  (Mrs.  Norman  Breed),  Ann  (Mrs.   John
     Reynolds), Jane J.  (Mrs.  Francis  Smith),  Catherine  (Mrs.  William
     Riley), Thomas M., John J. and George C. The last named remained  with
     his parents in Wisconsin until he was sixteen years of age,  receiving
     his education mostly in the common schools. He attended a  high-school
     one session. In 1861 he went South, and for seven or eight  years  was
     engaged in railroading, being  employed  at  different  times  by  the
     Nashville & Tennessee, Memphis &  Charleston  and  Mississippi
     Central. In 1869 he came to  Missouri,  and  clerked  in  a  store  at
     Price's Landing for  three  years,  after  which  he  engaged  in  the
     mercantile business for himself, at that place,  continuing  for  four
     years. In 1876 he engaged in farming, renting land until 1880, when he
     purchased ninety acres of land, to which he removed, and upon which he
     has since resided. He has cleared more than half of the land since his
     purchase and now has about seventy acres under cultivation, with  good
     improvements. On February 24, 1876,  he  wedded  Mary  E.  Mushold,  a
     native of Cincinnati, Ohio. She died on May  22,  1885,  leaving  four
     children: William A., Frances E., Clara E. and Edward J. Mr. Burns was
     again married on October 4, 1887, choosing for his wife Mabel  Massey,
     a native of Tennessee. Mr. Burns is a member of the  Catholic  Church.
     He has served as school director for six years, and has done  a  great
     deal to advance the cause of district schools, taking a deep  interest
     in educational matters generally. Prior to the organization of  public
     schools in this section, he taught private school. In politics he is a
     strong advocate of Democracy.

James L. Bush

James L. Bush,  a  farmer  of
     Mississippi County, Mo., was born  on  July  11,  1847.  His  parents,
     William B. and Ann Maria (Russell) Bush, were natives of Kentucky  and
     Maryland, respectively. The former was born March 29,  1806,  and  the
     latter on June 12, 1817. William B. Bush was one of the most prominent
     pioneer settlers of Southeast Missouri, to  which  he  came  in  1813,
     removed to Mississippi County, residing there the rest of his life. In
     politics he was a Democrat, and served for several years as  judge  of
     the county court. He also served as justice of the  peace.  His  wife,
     Mrs. Ann  Maria  (Russell)  Humphrey's  family  removed  to  Southeast
     Missouri in 1836. To Judge Bush and the mother  of  our  subject  were
     born nine children, as follows: Palemon C.,  August  1,  1841,  now  a
     resident of Cairo, Ill.; John  Logan,  February  15,  1843,  deceased;
     Richard B., August 14, 1845, deceased; James L., July 11, 1847; Galena
     Ann (Mrs. Joshua Bumpass),  October  27,  1848,  deceased;  Joseph  R.
     September 10, 1851, now a resident of  Charleston,  Mo.;  Mary  Ellen,
     September 2, 1853, deceased; Price L., April 8,  1856,  and  one  that
     died in infancy. Mrs. Bush  died  July  6,  1885.  By  three  previous
     marriages Judge Bush had five children, born as  follows:  George  W.,
     May 30, 1822; William H. September 1, 1826; Polly W.,  June  1,  1829;
     Robert L., November 14, 1834 and John H., June 14, 1820. Judge William
     B. Bush died on July 23, 1859. James L. Bush  lived  with  his  mother
     until her death, but began working for himself at the age  of  twenty-
     three years. In 1876 he located on his present farm of eighty acres  a
     part of which is under cultivation. This farm has since been his home,
     but he has rented the land and has been at  liberty  to  go  where  he


USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.

Return to Mississippi County

This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site