|A B C D F G H JK L M OP R S T V W Y|
Basil M. Raidt
Basil M. Raidt, a well-to-do farmer and stock raiser of Mississippi County, was born in New Madrid County, Mo., in 1858, and is a son of Mathias and Maria Ann (Crow) Raidt. The former was born in Germany, and when about fifteen years of age, came to America with his parents, and located in New Madrid County, Mo., where the parents died. The mother of our subject was born in Kentucky, but wars brought by her parents to Monroe County, Mo., in which county she grew to womanhood, after which she removed with her parents to New Madrid County. She still resides in the latter county, at the age of sixty-one years (February 14, 1888). To her and husband were born five children, three of whom are living: Basil M., Lena A. Zilafro and Daniel W., who lives at home with his mother. Those dead are Remigus and Henry C., the latter a twin brother to Daniel W. The father was married twice before this union, and has one child living by each wife, Joseph and Thomas G. Mathias Raidt died when he was forty years of age. Basil M. Raidt remained at the home of his parents until he was twenty-three years of age, that being one year after he married Alice Hancock. She is a daughter of John D. and Mary E. Hancock, both deceased. Her father was killed during the war, and her mother died shortly afterward leaving her and her sister orphans quite young, to be reared by her grandfather Pryor. Mrs. Raidt was born in 1865, and reared near the farm upon which she and her husband now reside, by her grandfather, Blanton Pryor. Her parents had two children, the other one, Aslee, being deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Raidt four children have been born: Mattie (deceased), Armenia G. (deceased), Correnia A. and Daniel W. (deceased). They also have under their care and protection two orphan children -cousins - G. Harvey Loomis, a boy sixteen years of age, and Lusinda Scott, a girl twelve years of age. Correnia was born in July 1885. Mr. Raidt and wife are adherents of the Catholic Church.
William N. Randolph
William N. Randolph, a promising young attorney of Charleston, was born on January 1, 1853, in Henderson County, Ky. He is a son of Malachi F. and Mary (Slaton) Randolph, both natives of Henderson County, Ky. Their parents were from Virginia, and were connected with the old stock of Randolph's and Slaton's in the Old Dominion. The paternal grandfather, Nathaniel Randolph, was a pioneer settler of Kentucky, in which state he died. At one time he carried the mail from Louisville west. Malachi Randolph is a farmer by vocation, and is still living in Henderson County, Ky. He and wife have four children living: William N., Slaton, Eugene and Lula (Mrs. George Robertson of Kentucky). William N. was reared on his father's farm, and had the advantages of a good common-school education. He studied civil engineering and surveying under the civil engineer at Henderson, Ky., about one year, after which he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1878, when he went to Charleston and taught school for two years. He then began the study of law under Col. Messer Ward, now deceased. In 1880 he was admitted to the bar, since which time he has practiced his profession. He is also agent for several insurance companies. On April 14, 1885, he was united in marriage with Effie, daughter of Dr. A.E. Simpson. They have one child, Minnie. Mr. and Mrs. Randolph are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Politically he is a Democrat, and has held the office of city attorney for one term, justice of the peace for six years, and notary pubic for eight years.
William H. Reeves
William H. Reeves, a successful farmer of Ohio Township, Mississippi Co., Mo., was born in Ballard County, Ky., on October 28, 1844. He is a son of Curtis and Eliza (Bryant) Reeves, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. The family were originally from Virginia, but immigrated to Kentucky at an early day. Curtis Reeves was a farmer by vocation, and removed to Mississippi County, Mo., about 1844 and owing to the overflow of that year, became disgusted with the country and returned to his native State. He died in Wayne County Mo., in 1845. His widow is still living. They were the parents of two children: Benjamin F. (deceased) and William H. The latter removed to Mississippi County with his mother in 1850, and located at Bird's Point, where they resided for several years. He is a farmer by vocation, and has been a resident of Mississippi County most of his life. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.
Frank B. Rice
Frank B. Rice, a prosperous young merchant of Charleston, Mo., was born in that city, December 15, 1862, and is a son of William A. and Elizabeth (Lusk) Rice, natives of Hannibal and Elizabeth town, Ky., respectively. The great great- grandparents on the father's side, came from England and settled in Virginia, where the early generations passed away. The grandfather, William Rice, removed to Kentucky, and lived there at the time of his death. William A. Rice was a physician, and a graduate of the old Louisville Medical College. Removing to Mississippi County, Mo., about 1832, he began practicing his profession in Charleston. Remaining there a few years, he went to Texas, and on account of failing health, was compelled to give up his profession. He taught school the remainder of his life, dying on March 17, 1873. His wife died in 1864. They had eight children, three of whom are living: James W. (a resident of Texas), Lulu (Mrs. L. La Montague) and Frank B. Those deceased are Edward, Mary, Margaret, William and Lizzie. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native city, in the schools of which he received a good education. His mother dying when he was about eighteen months old, he was left to the care of an aunt (Margaret Myrick) who is still a resident of Charleston. At an early age he engaged into the mercantile business for himself, which he has continued. He also owns the livery stable, formerly the property of Bridges & Wilkinson. Mr. Rice is considered a successful business man and an enterprising citizen. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the Encampment: also a member of the Baptist Church.
William T. Roberts
William T. Roberts, one of the substantial farmers of Mississippi County, was born on the eastern shore of Maryland, in Wicomico County, January 28, 1852. He is a son of Joshua T. and Mary E. (Goddard) Roberts, both of whom were natives of Maryland. The family immigrated to Mississippi County, Mo., in 1868, and settled on a farm one-half mile west of Charleston, upon which the family has since resided. The father died in 1871, but the mother is still living, and resides in Charleston. They were parents of six children, four of whom are living: Ella, Roxie, Anna and William T. The last named was reared to farm life in his native State, and has made farming his life vocation. He was but sixteen years of age when his parents located in Mississippi County, which is handsomely improved. In 1874 he was united in marriage with Mary, a daughter of B. Harris. Seven children have been born to them, six of whom are living: Georgie, Mamie, Emma, William N., Mabel and Herschel. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
William Rodney, one of the pioneer citizens of Mississippi County, was born in Lawrence County, Ark., October 7, 1825, and is a son of John and Rachel (Ramsey) Rodney, of German and French-Irish descent, and natives of Bourbon and Henderson Counties, Ky., respectively. The grandfather, Martin Rodney, emigrated from Germany, and settled in Cape Girardeau County about 1798. He was a farmer by vocation, and entered in that county, 160 acres of government land, upon which he lived a number of years, when he removed to Arkansas, where he was killed in his eighty-fourth year, by a tree falling on him. Andrew Ramsey, the maternal grandfather, was born in England, of Irish parentage. He immigrated to Missouri about 1797, and settled on the Mississippi River at a place now known as Norfolk. He received a grant for 640 arpents, or about 500 acres of land, from the Spanish Government. Mississippi County, at that time, was a dense forest, there being no roads, except Indian paths. He served in the War of 1812, and was wounded in a battle with the Indians, from the effects of which he died in his sixty-sixth year. He had two sons, Andrew and Allen, killed in the same fight. John Rodney immigrated to Mississippi County from Kentucky with his father, about 1811, after which he was a resident of Southeast Missouri until his death, with the exception of five years that he lived in Arkansas. Surveying was his chief vocation, and he served as both, State and county surveyor. He divided New Madrid, Scott and Mississippi Counties, after the bill was passed authorizing the formation of Mississippi County. He owned fifty slaves at the time of his death in 1853. His wife died in 1843. They were parents of seven children, Lucielle, Eveline (deceased), Thomas (deceased), William, Mary (deceased), Martin V. and Michael (deceased). William was but four years of age when he removed with his parents to Cape Girardeau County. After remaining there two years, they removed to Scott County. He remained with his parents until he was fourteen years of age, when he began working for himself. He traded in stock, etc., until 1850, when he went to California, and remained about two and one-half years, engaged in mining and trading on pack mules. Returning to Southeast Missouri in 1853, he located on a cane brake in Mississippi County, and began improving the farm upon which he now resides. It has required many years of hard labor to get the place in its present fine condition. He owns 447 acres, of which 200 acres are under cultivation. In 1855 he wedded Martha V. Harris, a native of Missouri, by whom he has three children, Walter F., Ella and Althea, (Mrs. W.A. Horton). Mr. Rodney was reared in the Catholic Church, and is still an adherent of that religion. Politically he was an ardent Democrat. He has held the office of magistrate for six years. The name of Rodney has been famous in Southeast Missouri for three quarters of a century.
George Rolwing, a prosperous young farmer of Mississippi County, Mo., was born in that county on February 18, 1862. He is the son of Henry and Cenia Rolwing, both of whom were natives of Germany. They immigrated to the United States in early life, and settled in Mississippi County, Mo., where they resided until their deaths. To them were born five children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the only survivor. He was reared to farm life, and since arriving at maturity has followed farming as a vocation. With the exception of a few years, he has always resided in his native county. In August, 1885, he was united in marriage with Fannie Brinkman, a daughter of Joseph Brinkman. Mr. Rolwing owns a good farm of 380 acres, a large portion of which is under cultivation, with good improvements. To him and wife have been born one child, an infant. Mr. and Mrs. Rolwing are members of the Catholic Church.
John M. Rowe
Dr. John M. Rowe was born in Carroll County, Tenn., October 18, 1841, and is a son of Elisha and Narcissus (Rogers) Rowe, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Wilson County, Tenn. The paternal great-grandfather came from England and settled in North Carolina. The great-grandmother Rowe came from France. The paternal grandfather, John Rowe, was born in North Carolina, and was a farmer by vocation. He immigrated to Tennessee at an early day, where he died. Elisha Rowe was also a farmer, and resided in Tennessee until 1883, when he removed to Charleston, Mo., where he died in 1886. His wife died in Tennessee in 1864. They were the parents of ten children, two of whom died in infancy. The others are John M., Mary S., Caroline, George P., Sallie, Fannie, Hilliard J. and Amanda. Dr. John M. remained on the farm in Tennessee until 1862, when he enlisted in the army, joining company B., Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, under Col. I.R. Hawkins. He was captured at the battle of Union City, and made his escape the first night after, without either hat or shoes, his whereabout being concealed by his friends. He afterward went to Columbus, Ky., dressed in rebel uniform. In the second year of his service, he began reading medicine, and was mustered out in 1865 as brevet assistant surgeon. Returning home he attended school one year, after which he read medicine one year. He then entered the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and remained there one session, after which he practiced his profession a short time. In 1868 he entered the medical department of the University of Nashville, graduating in the spring of 1869. He was then engaged in practicing his profession in his native county until 1874, when he located in Charleston, Mo., and resumed his practice, which he has very successfully continued. He is a member of the American Medical Society, to which he was a delegate in 1886. He is also a member of the tri-State, and the Southeast Missouri Medical Societies, and an honorable member of the Western Kentucky Medical Society. He is a Mason, and a member of the Chapter and Council. He was married in October, 1868, to Josephine Jordon, by whom he has three children: Edgar M., Stella M. and Walter S. His wife died in 1875, and he was again married in 1878 choosing for his second wife Julia Russell. Five children have been born to this union, viz: Lela B., Lura D. (deceased), Carl R., Herbert H. and John M., Jr. The Doctor and Mrs. Rowe are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In politics he is a Republican.
John Rushing, a highly respected farmer, residing near Bertrand, Mississippi Co., Mo., was born in Camden, Benton Co., Tenn., in 1833, and is a son of R.D. and Olley (McGill) Rushing, both natives of the above-named county. The paternal grandfather was born in North Carolina, and settled near Camden, Tenn., at a very early date. He reared his family there, and died when about seventy years of age. R.D. Rushing died in 1837, leaving a widow and two children, the subject of this sketch, who was then but four years of age, and a younger brother. His widow married James K. Nance, but died soon after, being twenty-five years of age. John and Thomas were then taken by their maternal grandparents, at whose home they grew to maturity. However, the grandfather died when John was but eleven years of age, and the support of his grandmother and younger brother devolved upon him. He worked upon his grandmother's farm until he was eighteen years of age, when he worked for himself in summers, and attended school in winters, until he secured sufficient education to teach school. He was then engaged in teaching for several winters, working during the summers. Later he was elected justice of the peace for his district, and in 1867, was elected clerk of Benton County. In 1870 he assisted in taking the census, and was then appointed assistant assessor of internal revenue of the Seventh District of Tennessee. After that office and collector of internal revenue were consolidated, he was appointed deputy collector, under Dr. C.W. Hawkins. In February 1874, he removed to Mississippi County, Mo., and located where he now resides. Mr. Rushing is an ardent Republican, and is very active in politics. In 1878 he was again elected justice of the peace, and in 1880 took the census of Long Prairie Township. He was united in marriage with Marinda Harris, of Arkansas, who was born in 1839. They have had seven children, two of whom are living: Thomas J. and Inez. Louisa Belle died at the age of seventeen. The other four died in infancy. Thomas J. graduated in the St. Louis common schools in 1886, and is now with the United States army at Fort Leavenworth, Kas. Mr. Rushing and family are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Alfred J. Rushing
Alfred J. Rushing, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Long Prairie Township, Mississippi Co., Mo., was born in Benton County, Tenn., on July 28, 1854 and is a son of Richard and Mehala (Ashcroft) Rushing, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina, respectively. The former was born in 1812, and while young removed with his parents to Benton County, Tenn., they being among the first settlers of that county. The grandfather, Willis Rushing, died there. Richard Rushing and wife were prominent members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder. He was an enterprising farmer and a highly respected citizen of Benton County, in which he died in 1881. His wife died in 1883, while visiting in Mississippi County, Mo. To them were born nine children, six of whom are living: Thomas, Alfred J., Green H., Mary T. (Mrs. John T. Heggie), Melvina (Mrs. Dr. W.Z. Heggie) and Sophronia (Mrs. John W. Butts). Those deceased are Willis, Richard and Ellen (Mrs. William Love). Alfred J. lived with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, assisting on the farm and attending school. In November 1878, he went to Mississippi County, Mo., and was engaged with William Love in the mercantile business for two years, after which he was with H.L. Finley for three years. In the fall of 1883, he removed to the farm on which he now resides. On October 25, 1882, he was united in marriage with Minnie Lee Langston, who was born (in 1863) and reared on the farm that is now her home. She is the daughter of Leonard and Minerva (Barnes) Langston, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. The former came to Southeast Missouri when about seventeen years of age, and the latter, with her parents, when two years of age. Leonared Langston died at the age of fifty-six years (in 1880) and his widow now lives with her daughter, Mrs. Rushing. They were the parents of five children, three of whom died in childhood. Charles married Mary E. Grayson, and to them were born three children: Willie, Arthur and Birdie. Charles died on September 1, 1881, and his widow and children now live on his farm. Mr. and Mrs. Rushing have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South for seven years, in which he is a steward. He was formerly a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which he was a ruling elder for seven years. He is also a member of the A.O.U.W. He and wife have two children, Albert and Willie.
David Rusk, a jeweler at Charleston, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1848, and is a son of John and Johanna (Jones) Rusk, natives of Scotland. The former was a cabinet-maker, which trade he followed the most of his life. His wife died in Scotland, and he afterward immigrated to America in 1851. He located in Maryland, and remained a few years, when he removed to Sparta, Ill., where he died. He was the father of six children. David was but three years of age when his mother died, and he was left with his relatives in Scotland, when his father came to America. He received a liberal education in Ayrshire, and in 1864 took passage on a steamer at Liverpool, for New York, where he landed after a seven day's voyage. He went from there to St. Louis, and from thence to Sparta, Ill, where he finished learning the watchmaker's trade, which he had previously undertaken. He remained in Sparta until 1875, when he came to Charleston and engaged in business on his own account. Although he began on a small scale, he has built up a good trade, and now has a large stock of jewelry, etc. In 1874 he was united in marriage with Nora Knox, a native of Illinois, of German descent. Four children have been born to them: Eddie, Minnie, Maggie and an infant daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Rusk are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the K. of P. In politics he is a Democrat, and has served as city councilman two terms.
Joseph G. Russell
Joseph G. Russell (deceased) was born on April 20, 1842, in Scott County, Mo., and was a son of William Russell, a native of Maryland, who removed to Southeast Missouri, and settled in Scott County, where the subject of this sketch was born and where he (William Russell) died on May 7, 1861. Joseph G. remained in his native county until 1870 when he brought his family to Mississippi County, and located near Bertrand. In 1882 he purchased the farm upon which his family now reside. On February 18, 1866, he was united in marriage with Hannah M. Mansfield, born on November 8, 1845, in Scott County, Mo. She is the daughter of William A. and Martha J. (Joyce) Mansfield, natives of Kentucky and Louisiana, respectively. The former came to Southeast Missouri when he was a small boy. The latter removed with her mother to Cape Girardeau County, when she was six years old, her father having died in Louisiana. They were the parents of eleven children, five of whom are living: William A., Simeon T., Hannah M., Sarah (Mrs. James Donover), and Louisa E. (widow of B. Gillolley, who resides with her mother in Bertrand). Those dead are Thomas, Robert E., Terresa J., John H., William T. and an infant unnamed. Mrs. Mansfield resides on the home place in Bertrand, her husband having died in 1883. To Mr. and Mrs. Russell were born eleven children, viz: Robert P. (died on November 30, 1884), William C., Joseph T. (died on August 8, 1884), John G., Franklin F., Thomas T., Marvin W. (died on May 18, 1880), Albert G., Oliver G. (deceased) and Claudus and Cora, both of whom died in February, 1884. Mr. Russell died on November 4, 1885. He was a member of the A.F. & A.M. and of the A.O.U.W. He was also a member of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Mutual Aid Association, and he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In politics he was a Democrat. His widow and children reside on the home farm, south of Bertrand, and enjoy the comforts of a good home, which he secured by industry and enterprise. Mr. Russell was a highly respected citizen, and let a host of friends to mourn his death.
James W. Russell
James W. Russell, real estate agent and stock dealer, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., on July 7, 1851, and is a son of Joseph W. and Mary (Frizell) Russell, the former a native of Georgetown, Ky., and the latter of Cape Girardeau County, Mo. The subject of this sketch was reared in Jackson, Mo., where he secured a good education. He afterward lived in St. Louis several years, and practiced medicine, having previously graduated at the Missouri Medical College. He, however, was not satisfied with the profession he had chosen, and sought other business. Being a man of strong physical ability, he decided to try farming, abandoning his profession entirely. In 1882 he removed to his present farm in Mississippi County, where he has since ben engaged in the real estate and stock business. His large farming interests in Mississippi County and vicinity require a great deal of his attention. He deals extensively in stock, buying and selling, and at times making large shipments. In 1879 he was united in marriage with Anna Edwards, which union has been blessed by the birth of two children, Lizzie and Anna. Mr. Russell is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is an enterprising citizen and one of the most successful business men of Mississippi County.
Joseph J. Russell
Hon. Joseph J. Russell, attorney-at-law, was born near Charleston, Mo., on August 23, 1854, and is one of eleven children born to the marriage of Joseph T. Russell and Patience A. Langford. His paternal grandfather, James A. Russell came to Mississippi County from Maryland about 1836 and died in the county about 1852 or 1853. Joseph T. Russell left his native State in 1853 in company with Judge Noah Handy, and came to Missouri, making the entire journey by wagon. He first located in West Philadelphia, a little town then recently laid out on the banks of the Mississippi river, in Scott County, where unaware of the treacherous character of the river, he invested all his money in town property. A year or two later his lots were destroyed by the encroachments of the river, and he removed to Mathews' Prairie, where he entered 160 acres of land, and made a home for himself and family. He was a carpenter, and up to 1856 worked at his trade in Charleston and the surrounding county. His last contract was for the building of the court house, which, with many other buildings erected by him, is still standing. In 1856 he retired to his farm where he spent the remainder of his life in ease and comfort. He died on December 27, 1874. He was twice marred, his first wife having died on April 14, 1869. Of his children by the first marriage five are living: Eliza, Abraham O., Joseph J., Julia (Mrs. Dr. John M. Rowe) and John c. Those dead are Ellen, Martha, Laura, Hettie, Sarah and George D. Joseph J. Russell was reared on his father's farm, receiving such education was the district school afforded. At the age of nineteen he exchanged his position as pupil for that of teacher, of the home school, but between terms attended the Charleston Academy. In 1875 he entered the law office of Moore & Hatcher, at Charleston, and the following year was admitted to the bar. Subsequently he entered the law department of the State University, and in 1880 graduated from that institution as the valedictorian of his class. Since his admission to the bar, with the exception of the time spent in college, he has been engaged in the practice of his profession at Charleston. Close attention to business, a thorough knowledge of law and native shrewdness have secured for him a large and lucrative practice and although a young man, he is generally recognized as one of the ablest and most successful lawyers of Southeast Missouri. He has also attained considerable prominence in politics, and has filled several official positions. He was school commissioner of Mississippi county for two years, and prosecuting attorney for four years, 1880-84. In 1884 he was a presidential elector on the Democratic ticket, and made an able canvass of his district. In 1886 he was elected to represent Mississippi County in the Legislature, and was unanimously nominated Speaker pro tem by the Democratic caucus, and, of course, elected. Mr. Russell was married at the Southern Hotel, at St. Louis, on July 26, 1884, to Belle Groath, of Cape Girardeau. He owns one of the finest residences in Charleston, and is a director in the Charleston Bank, which he was largely instrumental in organizing.
USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives to store the file permanently for free access.
Return to Mississippi County
This site sponsored by Rootsweb
This site is a part of USGenWeb MOGenWeb Mississippi county Missouri Web site